WOULD YOU JOIN?

SECRET LOCATION

0800 HOURS

OFFICER ROSHESH VAZA

I thought Sid looked bad after his time with Agent Prescott. I stand corrected. Agent Prescott looks like death himself. His back and torso have welts, his elbows are scraped, his shin has a purple bruise, his abs are a mix of green and purple and his knuckles are split open. He looks dead.

Dreading the consequences, I shake him awake. The guards informed me of his arrival in the morning. Completing my morning duties, I decided to report to him before he comes searching for me. However, I was not expecting him in this state.

"WHAT?"

Ignoring his anger and meeting his gaze head on, I said "Sir, you need to get yourself checked"

"YOU ARE IN NO POSITION TO ORDER ME."

With a heavy heart, I repeat, "Sir, you need to get yourself checked."

Ignoring me, he turns arounds and goes right back to sleep. Trying my luck one last time, I say, "Sir, the risk of infection is too high. You need to get yourself checked."

With anger, he spoke deliberately enunciating each word, "I am not stupid. I scrubbed them with the disinfectant thoroughly. Now, get out before I make you."

Knowing that he won't listen and I have no way of dragging him to the infirmary, I head out and get the doctor to come check him in his room.

Pissed at my move, he glares at me while the doctor checks all his cuts and scrapes, cleans them once more and prescribes some antibiotics.

As soon as the doctor is outside the room, he orders, "Go get Officer Siddharth"

What? He hasn't let that incident go yet. Sid is going to get screwed again. Agent Prescott is pissed and Sid is going to be his victim.

When I report back, there is a bucket of cold water waiting at one side of the room. I stand in attention with Sid and wait to be dismissed.

"Officer Roshesh, go to the far end of the room, drop facing the wall and start pushing. Push in sets of 100. Then head stand in the bucket. Set of 30 seconds. Keep alternating. Do it silently, don't disturb my meeting"

Why would he punish me for helping him out? Silently, I do as told while Sid is offered a seat.

--

OFFICER SIDDHARTH MISHRA

Dumfounded at the sudden change, I take a seat immediately, lest he turn his anger on me. In the background, Roshesh has quietly taken to his task.

"I am forming an unofficial but authorised task force. This force remains off papers and in case we get caught, we would be labelled as terrorists. For this, you will undergo a special training. So, do you wish to join?"

Speechless, I mull it over. Agent Prescott making a force will definitely be a force to be reckoned with. I wanted to be a part of something bigger. Why not join? It can't be worse than what I have already gone through. The pain might be for long, but I'll come out better on the other side.

"Yes sir. I would like to join."

"Well then, you will have to resign and leave your duties by the end of the month. Find a way to get off so soon and I'll pick you up when the time comes. Send Cadet Ashwin Sahni here. You are dismissed."

--

ASHWIN SAHNI

I enter Room No. 101 and salute Agent Prescott. I am shocked to see a sweaty but shivering Officer Roshesh doing push-ups while Agent Prescott orders me to take a seat across from him.