THE MISSION - II

ARJUN's POV:

We had gone over each step of the hack, backdoor and trace removal a million times during our preparation of this mission. But my brain needs to do something. Anything to stop worrying and so I counter- attack each step to prove to myself that we have not made a single mistake anywhere!

Repeating the process in my head again and again, I keep typing the stupid forms and sending approvals.

My arms freeze mid-way when a realisation hits me. We did everything to ensure that Rustom's computer cannot be found as the source. But we never masked our identity. They could send a tracker virus in the back door and find our location.

Resisting to urge to throw a fuck tantrum, I resume typing. I need to go back and put in protections the first thing. We can't take risks.

What if Aarham has already found a back door and is sending a team there while we sit here unaware? It is an unprotected location with just Chief against an army. If anything ever happened there, Agent Prescott will KILL me. No second thoughts.

Damnit! We should have brought coms. Atleast I could have informed them. Biting the inside of my cheek, I curse and cry in my head and hope that it is not visible outwardly.

---

My eyes get droopy from the massive headache that keeps mounting on me. Just two more minutes and I can be out of here. Come on, Arjun. Keep it together.

I nearly scream like a little school girl when Mike hits my shoulder again. That shite Rustom really needs to find better friends! How the heck can a man survive this?

Choking back my scream, I turn to him.

"What has got your panties in a twist?"
Oh duck! I can't be caught this close to the end.

I make a show of pointing at the watch saying, "New season of Family Man got launched tonight. It's 1 minute to freedom time and I'm dying to just dig in"

Furrowing his brows, Mike ponders, "I thought you looked scared."

Digging my pointer finger's nail into my thumb to numb my real feelings, I reply with a 'duh' look, "Aren't you? If they don't catch the scheme, the entire city is gone. Not just now. But for years. It is like the next Hiroshma! Imagine India without a capital Delhi. What would we do?" 

Mike shakes his head and I internally sigh in relief.
"You are something else man! Go home. I don't want you to strain your heart unnecessarily. Even in your imagination."

Thank the fucking lord for Rustom's obsession for movies and tv series! I fist pump for Mike's satisfaction and walk out of there a happy man with Officer Siddharth following me closely.

---

CHIEF's POV:

Going over the pros and cons the millionth time, I make the decision of putting two families in permanent danger.

Rustom and Dan will have to be debriefed about everything that happened today and be taught ways to buy time in case suspicion is raised. Their lives will have to be permanently monitored. Good Lord! Prescott is stringing so many people for his revenge. I hope he can live with that.

At rest with one decision, I continue the pacing on the beach. I should have forced the coms on them. Should not have listened to Prescott. If he wants to be an idiot martyr, I want to have a chance to knock some sense into him.

At the sound of the distant jeep, I let out a small sigh. Atleast two of my men are safe. Thank you, Lord! Thank you!

Leaving the beach, I cross the grounds and stand at the front door. Prescott is the first to step out with a grin while Roshesh has a full blown smile on his face. These idiots have reduced ten years of my life and are so happy to have done it. Fuckers!