Chapter 11: Fight on

(A/N); sooo! I realized I had more time than expected left and wrote another one! Yay! Three consecutive and two today, dang I'm on a  roll (hope it lasts XD 🥺)haha, hope you enjoy it everyone. From here on out, the story'll get more interesting ;). It's almost midnight now though.. Warning: slightly graphic descriptions of wounds, blood, and the like.

"Gato why did you come here? And what's with those henchmen?" Zabuza demanded, straightening up, narrowing his eyes at the man.

"Our strategy has changed a little... I'm sorry Zabuza, but you'll die here." Gato snickered, tapping the ground with his cane.

Zabuza's eyes widened, in shock and confusion. "What did you say?"

"Since hiring regular shinobi costs a lot of money, I hired rogue ninjas like you. And it would have been even more ideal to save my money and effort if ninja-to-ninja battles ended in both dead. Well, you are certainly not worthy of being called the Demon Mist of the Hidden Mist Village. If you were to ask me, you're just a cute little demon!" Gato announced and admitted loudly, no doubt gibing at Zabuza and goading.

The diverse crowd of men behind Gato all burst out in laughter, completely uncaring of what they had done.

Naruto gulped and stared in confusion, frowning. What's with those guys? So many of them.

Zabuza quieted down, seemingly increasingly disappointed with himself, he lowered his gaze. "Kakashi... I apologize. Our fight ends here. With my reason to take down Tazuna gone, there is no reason to fight you." Zabuza spoke abnormally calmly.

Kakashi crouched down, keeping an eye on the scum. "Yeah, that's right."

Gato, that short man, walked towards them until he stopped right in front of Haku's still body. He looked down at him and smirked. "That reminds me. I owe him something."

Gato moved Haku's face with his shoe, as if trying to wake him up with its dirty sole, squishing his face. "He squeezed my arm 'til it broke."

The next moment Gato kicked Haku's soft face with all his strength yelling, "Oi!"

Naruto gasped as his body trembled in outrage. How dare he?!

"Huh, he's dead."

The blonde, in absolute shock and outrage at his audacity, gritted his teeth tightly and ran at him glaring at him savagely. Do not desecrate his body! "You bastard! What do you think you're doing, hey?!" Naruto shouted his lungs out, getting grabbed by Kakashi midrun and restrained in his arms.

"Stop! Don't act so recklessly...!" Kakashi scolded him, holding him back with all his strength. Still, Naruto squirmed and struggled in his hold, trying his hardest to get free. Kakashi understood of course, he did, but he couldn't let him put himself in danger. He let go slowly and Naruto angrily shouted at Zabuza.

"You say something too! Wasn't he your comrade?!"

Zabuza's eyes were dark and cold, and there was a very slight tremble to his shoulders. "Shut up punk. Haku is already dead."

"What? Don't you feel anything watching him doing that?!" Naruto exclaimed. "Weren't you with him for a long time?!"

Zabuza replied emotionlessly. "Just as Gato used me, I was using Haku. I told you. We shinobi are merely tools. What I wanted were his skills and not Haku himself." Zabuza paused. "I have no regrets."

Naruto's fists shook as he clenched them, glaring at him with all his strength. "Do you...Do you really mean that?' He squeezed out the words, just about to explode.