Chapter 13: New Rivals in the Horizon

"Let's go. We didn't come here to play around." Gaara scolded starting to walk away followed by the other two.

"I know." Kankuro retorted weakly, as he followed.

Sakura stepped forth, eyes narrowed. "Hold it!"

"What is it?" Gaara inquired.

"Judging from your headbands you're ninjas from the Hidden Sand Village, right? It may be that the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind are allied nations, but the arbitrary coming and going of shinobi is supposed to be prohibited by the treaty. State your purpose!" Sakura claimed, eyes narrowed.

The sand shinobi snickered and sighed, about to mock them.

(Y/N) facepalmed loudly, scrambling to pull her back. Seriously?! The one time Sakura takes the lead in something she makes us all look like idiots! (Y/N) dragged Sakura back despite protests and bowed slightly to the sand shinobi. "Sorry about her. You must be here for the Chuunin Exam. I'm sure we'll see each other there."
Naruto and Sakura hummed in confusion. Chuunin Exam?

The blonde girl scoffed and smirked, turning around. "I see one of you has brains. It's as you say, we're Hidden Sand Village genin from the Land of Wind, here for the Chuunin Exam."

(Y/N) nodded, smiling amiably. She seems more reasonable than the other two knuckleheads. "I thought so when I first saw you. Try not to get in anymore trouble, alright?"

"What's the Chuunin Exam, anyways?" Naruto asked, squinting. (Y/N) facepalmed again. Clearly, their sensei forgot to inform them.

Konohamaru answered for her, "Bro, if you pass the exam, you can rise to Chuunin rank!"

Naruto lit up exclaiming, "I see! Then, maybe I'll try taking them!"

(Y/N) sighed, giving up on her teammates. Even Duckbutt is clueless. "That's not how it works Naru." She turned to the blonde girl and smirked. "I'm sure we'll see each other there."

The girls nodded to each other, reaching some sort of understanding. Ah, this one's cool.

Sasuke jumped down from his tree, stare focused on Gaara's back. "Hey! You there. What's your name?" He demanded.

The blonde girl turned around and sputtered, "Huh? M-me?"

Sasuke sighed inwardly. "No! The gourd next to you!" He deadpanned, furrowing his brows and pointing at Gaara.

The redhead stopped midstep and turned around. "I'm Gaara of the desert. I have an interest in you as well. What's your name?"

Sasuke smirked, "Sasuke Uchiha."

The boys stared at each other in a face off, glaring at each other. There was silence for a moment as the wind blew. Then Gaara broke it, turning his aquamarine gaze to (Y/N).

"And you?"

(Y/N) blinked in surprise. Didn't think he'd ask. Isn't it obvious? My mark isn't exactly covered. "(Y/N) Ryudo."

The redhead hummed and closed his eyes in acknowledgement. So it is her. She's certainly different. Worthy prey.

Naruto broke the tension, chirping "Hey, hey and me? What about me?"

"Not interested." Gaara replied nonchalantly.

The three sand shinobi turned around and jumped away.

Sasuke smirked at the spot they had disappeared from. Heh! Things just got interesting.
(Y/N) nudged him slightly. "What the heck were you waiting for anyways Duckbutt? An invitation?"