Chapter 18: Panic and Counterattack

"Naruto! I know you tried to be cool and intended to rescue us but... Don't put your nose into this! Run! This thing.... She's on a far different level!"

"Seems like you brought that giant snake down brilliantly, Naruto." The crazy snake freak said with a sneer, looking at Naruto from where they rested coiled around the branch.

Naruto crossed his arms and furrowed his brows, pursing his lips apprehensively. No matter how you look, she looks like a snake.. He recalled the way just minutes ago he had been swallowed and nearly digested by a humongous snake and narrowed his eyes. I get it, it was the handiwork of this woman.

(Y/N) gulped nervously, torn between staying where she was with Sakura or going to Sasuke. As the four teammates stood on different branches at different heights, they observed the grass ninja that had turned out to be way more than they originally thought. It was clear now; the way they just rested calmly on the branch like a predator lying in wait. It was unsettling to say the least. Her hands itched for a chain to swing, or any weapon big enough to make her feel safer; as if that'd help.
She was no fool, instincts and senses be damned.

That snake freak did not only stink like death. The smell their body emitted was so foul it made her want to physically recoil at it; it was so bad she could swear that that body was rotting. But that's impossible, right? I mean, he's moving everything. Doesn't seem to be dying anytime soon. Still... something's off about them. Can't even tell whether they are a male or female. Their smell is so jumbled it's sending me so many mixed signals. Something's definitely wrong with that body.

(Y/N) slid a kunai out of her holster and held it tightly, ready to defend. Regardless, if that's not a weakness, we'll need to find one.

Sasuke seemed tense, like a rope pulled too far too tight, wanting to run away. He gritted his teeth harshly, glaring at the freak with all his concentration. The situation has never gotten any better with him showing up for the rescue. What should I do?

"Hey hey hey! Evidently you've been bullying the weakling!" Naruto suddenly yelled, pointing at the creep angrily. "Now that I, Naruto Uzumaki is here, I'm going to wipe the floor with you!"

(Y/N) shook her head frantically, jumping a branch higher, closer to Sasuke and the grass ninja. "No! Naruto wait! We can't just charge in like idiots with no plan this time!"

Sasuke thought for a moment. Then he gritted his teeth so hard they squeaked and snapped towards to (Y/N). "It has come to this then. (Y/N). Give him the scroll."

(Y/N) gaped at him, jaw dropping at the outrageous idea and the stupid announcement. "HUH?!" Is he an idiot suddenly?! I get that you're afraid, but we can't just give ourselves up like that! Nobody knew I had it until you spoke you Duckbutt brain!

"Huh?! What are you doing Sasuke?! Why are you giving our scroll to the enemy?!" Naruto exclaimed furiously pointing at him in outrage.

"You shut up!" Sasuke yelled back with a glare.

Naruto gasped quietly, "What?!"

The grass shinobi observed the exchange with a smirk, slightly sitting up with a hand on their hip, well what (Y/N) thought was their hip. Kind of hard to tell when they had a snake-like body. "I see... you're sensible. The only thing the "prey" can hope for from the "predator" is presenting other food and pray you would be spared, isn't it?"

Sasuke glared, speaking to (Y/N) without daring to his eyes off the grass freak. "Lizard. Give it to him."

(Y/N) snarled at him, jumping to his branch and slapping him. "Are you a fool?! Why did you say anything?! He clearly didn't know! What are you thinking!?"