Chapter 44 - Graduation Time

We'd always been protected.

He was as overprotective as he was tough,

this teacher who'd done more living than we had.

" Thank goodness you're alright, Kayano! " Nagisa rejoiced with a wide smile on his face.

" Nagis--achoo! " Kayano sneezed, " I-It's cold--EH?! Why are my clothes like this?! "

Nagisa looked away immediately, flustered. The other guys too quickly turned their heads away, all except Okajima who Kataoka forcibly turned his head the other way.

Itona stared blatantly at Kayano's chest and deadpanned, " Pathetic. "

" What is?! " Kayano snapped.

" Hai, hai, " Maehara shrugged off his jacket and squatted to placed it around Kayano's shoulders to cover her up, " Koro-sensei even fixed up your hair. "

" Thanks, but I wish he'd fixed up my clothes first. " Kayano sighed.

" Y'know, Koro-sensei's very generous with his care and all, you might have come out of that more bustier than before. " Okajima rasped out, struggling against Kataoka's grip on his head.

" Is that so, Koro-sensei? " Toka asked as she turned to him.

A moment passed before Koro-sensei slowly tipped backwards and fell flat on his back onto the ground, eliciting gasps from his students.

" Phew...I'm beat. " Koro-sensei sighed.

Asuna blinked as she took in Koro-sensei's form that looked frail for once.

" Do you want to sleep for a bit, Koro-sensei? " Asuna asked as she crouched next to him.

" Thank you, Asuna, but I am fine. " Koro-sensei reassured her before he addressed the class as a whole, " Minna-san? What kind of an assassin would let a dying target escape? "

Immediately, the class understood the meaning of his question.

" Haven't you realised? " Koro-sensei's voice was gentle, " It's killing time. "

The class hung their heads as reality sank in.

" Fun times...are bound to end. That's what a classroom's all about. "

Everyone clenched their jaw as they stared at the laser pointed in their direction, aimed to kill Koro-sensei.

March 12, 11.32pm

They had no time to hesitate.

" Guys, " Isogai called out, " we have to decide this ourselves. "

Everyone was silent as Isogai gathered his thoughts, " We could choose to stay out of this and leave it up to fate... "

He looked around at his classmate's faces, " Show of hands ; who doesn't want to kill Koro-sensei? "

A moment before eventually, everyone had raised their hands.

" Ok, hands down. " Isogai nodded before he asked, " Who wants to kill him? "

Another moment of silence, dragged out as no one raised their hands, instead, they were all holding back their tears.

They were always with us ;

our guns,

our knives...

and our teacher.