CHAPTER 35

Jayden's POV

The buzzing sound of the intercom on the desk jerks me out of my reverie and I drop the pen in my hand to pick it up.

"Mrs. D'Alonzo is here to see you, sir", Anna speaks into the phone and I raise a brow.

What is Caroline doing in my office at this hour? I have an out-of-office meeting in an hour and I am preparing my files for the meeting.

Caroline isn't one to call the office because she knows how busy I can be. I used to spend my night in the office sometimes, especially after Helena's death. I didn't see the need to go home because there was no one to welcome me back home. But I am married now and questioning brows will be raised if I spend the night in the office again.

Caroline knows all about this. She was here in New York when Helena died and she understands my busy schedule. I just wonder why she is here instead of coming over to the house later tonight.

"Should I let her in?" Anna's voice jerks me out of my reverie.

"Yes, please", I say and drop the phone before pushing myself back on the leather swivel chair more comfortably.

When she is gone, I will continue my work. I just hope this won't take too much time.

A minute passes before I hear a knock at the door. 

"Come in", I echo my permission and the door opens to reveal Caroline in a simple straight skirt and blouse as though she is headed to an office job.

I can't hide my surprise so I raise my brow. She closes the door and chuckles lightly as she approaches.

"Good day to you too, Jayden if that is your new way of greeting", she mutters and flops heavily to the seat opposite my desk.

"I'm just surprised, that's all" I shrug while she smiles and lets her gaze scan my office. "No changes."

"Yeah." She knows how much I love to keep things the way they are. No matter how many times I have to renew whatever it is.

Paintings, furniture, interior decor, exterior decorations, curtains, and everything that makes up an office or a room. I hate changing things like this. I am used to getting the same color of curtains every year ever since I first moved into my mansion. 

I guess I got the trait from my mother.

"Why are you here?" I ask. I don't want us to wait any longer and I want to satisfy my curiosity by knowing the reason for her visit.

She lets out a sigh and stares at me for a while without smiling. "Are you two really in love?"

I don't need a soothsayer to tell me what this is all about. 

Did mother tell her anything or she is just asking this question out of curiosity? The way mother blurted out those words last night is enough to arouse someone's curiosity.