CHAPTER 58

Jayden's POV

While putting some files into my briefcase so I could go home, the door opens and I look up to see my mother come in.

"Mother?" I wiggle my eyebrows at her as she closes the door and ventures inside.

Is Anna gone? Why didn't she inform me that Mother is here?

I plan to go home early today because Gabriel and I have plans to meet up somewhere to close our deal and sign up the contract of my partnership. We couldn't do that because I have been absent from work for a whole week and I have been coming to work for three days now without seeing him.

He told me how busy he has been coupled with the demands of his pregnant wife and we planned to meet tonight.

Sabrina would be going out with her friend too which is giving him the time to come out. I hope now that he is expecting a baby, he will be faithful to his wife.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her with confusion, skating my expression. 

Why is she here by this time of the day? We haven't seen each other for days. Well, I haven't seen her since I came back from my little trip with Isabella from the lake house.

"I came to see you, of course", she replies with a scowl. When she takes a seat, I do the same, dropping the briefcase. "How could you be gone with that thing you call a wife for days? I couldn't reach you, you couldn't call me back after the several voicemails I sent to you because I was worried and you couldn't even come to visit after you came back? What was that for? A show? How long were you gone?"

I let her rant for a while till she gets tired and remains silent. With my jaws propped on my hand, I begin the countdown for the 10 minutes I am sparing here.

"Aren't you going to say anything, Jayden?"

As much as I want to snap at her and tell her to leave my office, I remain calm. 

Leaning forward and taking note of the two minutes she had exhausted ranting, I ask. "Why did you allow Isabella and me to get married?"

"What?!" She looks perplexed at the question. Her brows scrunch up too.

"Yes, mother. You heard me right. Why did you allow Isabella to get married to me when you knew you didn't like her and you would end up hating her?" I rephrase my question, expecting an answer and the right way to shut her up completely.

Even though I have been giving Isabella a silent treatment because of what happened between us at the chalet house, I won't allow anyone to do the same to her or mistreat her or say bad words about her. We might not be on good terms but she is a good woman. I know she is.

The kiss caught me off-guard and I was ashamed of myself. I wasn't supposed to do that. 

I had no idea what came over me that made the vows which usually ring a bell in my head run off with the winds. I had no idea why I kissed her and why she allowed me to kiss her.