CHAPTER 98

Jayden's POV

The ride to the lake house is in complete silence. At a point, I believe Isabella wasn't only giving me the silent treatment but was dozing off to even know that we are headed to the lake house.

When I skipped work today, I was hoping it would be worth it. I visited her and told her I wanted to take her somewhere.

She was reluctant but I could see that Isabella had gone past that stage. The stage of despair, anger, betrayal, and frustration.

I was hoping my letters to her will reveal all that she needed to know and I was hoping it will help heal her just like it healed my wounds.

I guess it worked. But I don't want to be over-excited about it. I am going to take one step at a time till everything is cleared off, even though I doubt if she would ever trust me again.

I doubt if she would trust me with her heart like she once did. I trampled upon it, breaking it into pieces and she is still trying to fix up the pieces back in their place.

She asked me where we were going and I told her it was a surprise. I could see how much she wanted to ask and shout for me not to take her to the mansion until she saw that I didn't take the route leading to the mansion.

I have no intention of forcing her to do anything. I have no intention of making her come back because of the contract.

Now, all I want is for her to come back on her own free will.

I stop the car and get out. Before I can go to her side to open the door for her, she opens her eyes and looks around yawning.

She gasps when she sees the lake house and her eyes hold twinkles. 

I open the door and she gets out, still looking around.

Without a word, I signal to her to lead the way and she does that while I follow behind calmly. I brought her here because coming here with her made me realize a whole lot of things.

Coming here with Isabella holds a lot of memories that are difficult to erase. This was where it all started. This is where my attraction for her started. This is where we had our first kiss, even though we pretended afterward as though it never happened.

This is where I opened up to her. This is where the weight on my shoulders was lifted off. This is where I acted like the Jayden I was when Helena was alive; cheerful, carefree, and happy.

And most importantly, this is where Isabella told me how much Helena would want me to be happy.

These two women mean a lot to me. This place reminds me of both of them even though Helena was never here.

She turns the doorknob and it opens. I can sense her surprise as she enters.

Remembering that I didn't come with the file I left in the car, I rush back to the car to grab it before turning back to the house.

Isabella is still glancing around, probably looking for changes in the lake house or the surprise.

There is no surprise. This is the surprise. Coming here is the surprise.

The first time we were here, I could see how much she wanted another time and that is what I am doing.

She sits on the couch and relaxes her back as if to continue sleeping.

Hiding the file behind me, I ask. "Are you hungry? Should I make you something?"

"No, no, I'm fine", she says with a wave of the hand and her eyes still closed. She is still avoiding me but I'm glad the coldness in her tone is no longer present.