twelve

I spent the rest of the afternoon in my bedroom, reading a Taylor Swift article. In my defense, it was very long. My brothers had all promised to have dinner with me, but I wanted something to do. There are only so many activities I can do by myself. 

When I look at the clock, I groan in relief. It's 5 minutes until 7 o'clock. It's common knowledge that we have dinner at 7 o'clock in this house. My mother and I used to eat dinner at 6 o'clock, so adjusting to an hour later is quite hard. 

Being 5 minutes early won't kill anyone, so I jump up from my bed and check how I look in the mirror. I just put on a hoodie, so no one can see the hideous marks that line my neck. I'm wearing yoga pants and a pair of socks, because who wants to see feet?

I make my way through the labyrinth that I call a house, and get the first choice for where I want to sit. Briefly, I put myself against the head chair, but quickly move away from it, knowing that Matteo would be mad if I took his precious seat. 

His seat is the one thing that Matteo cherishes. I remember when Axel sat in it, and Matteo shouted at him for over half an hour. As a bystander, I can say that the event was traumatizing. 

In the end, I decided to sit in the middle of one of the rows. It's the usual spot I sit in. 

Slowly, the rest of my brothers pile into the room and mutter a small 'hey' before sitting in their chosen seats. 

When Matteo enters the room, all of the quiet chatter stops, and we all look at him.

"What are you looking at? Do I have something on my face?" He asks stupidly. 

"No, but we're happy to finally be graced with your presence," Axel sarcastically exclaims. 

With that being said, maids flutter into the room, placing trays of food on the table. The smell wafts towards me, and I can feel drool form in my mouth.

The women leave the room, and Matteo says the two words that make me happy.

"Dig in."

I'm the first person to lunge toward the food, grabbing the serving food and toppling piles of it on my plate.

Tonight, we're having mac and cheese, which is my favourite. 

"Hazel, we wanted to talk to you, about what happened today," Matteo says, placing his elbows on the table, and resting his chin against his closed fist.

"What part of today do you want to talk about?" I ask innocently. 

"Don't give me that attitude, Hazel. You know full well what I want to say," my oldest brother snaps.

"Okay, okay. I was just trying to make this less awkward. Don't get your panties in a twist."

"If you want to, you can talk to a therapist. I could get one to speak with you a couple of times a week," Matteo suggests, vaguely.

"No thank you. I'm more bothered about the fact that my mother is dead," I bitterly exclaim. "Besides, I don't trust people like them. They often take things to court, and I don't need any legal action."

The boys all exchange subtle looks, but I don't miss when Axel and Matteo communicate with their eyes.  

"Why are you looking at each other like that," I mumble incoherently, as I just took a bite of the cheesy pasta.

"We're not doing anything, Hazel. Go back to eating," Matteo says.

"Don't gaslight me," I growl.

"Anyway, you'll be going back to school tomorrow. Your studies are very important, and Mr. Halligan won't be there anymore. So far, you've only done one lesson, and your attendance rate matters at this school," Matteo remarks. 

"I understand," I communicate, sourly. 

"Good. I have to go now, but I'll be back tomorrow before you head off to school," Matteo claims.

"Bye. Don't hurry back," I exclaim, standing up from my chair and pushing it in. "I'm done."

"Have an early night. But I expect you to be awake early for school tomorrow. Am I clear?" My oldest brother grinds his teeth. 

"Crystal."

I storm out of the dining room, and slam doors, as I make my way upstairs. I can hear commotion coming from downstairs, but ignore it, knowing that the perpetrator is probably Matteo, shouting at me to stop being loud. 

When I get to my bedroom, I shut my door, before pacing around, and stamping my feet. I quickly check all my socials, to make sure I haven't missed anything. Evie, and Liz both posted photos from the concert. Some of them have me, while others don't. 

I found out that Evie hosted a crazy high school house party, and got the cops called on her. She got arrested, and if it wasn't for Liz, she would be in jail. 

They both seem to be enjoying life, which makes me happy, but  small part of myself wishes that I could be as fortunate and carefree as them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for all the people who surround themselves in my life, but I wish everything was simpler. 

I wish my mother was alive. 

I wish I got to meet my father before he died.

I wish Fletcher didn't touch my body.

I wish I was informed about my 5 brothers before I had to meet them. 

I envy my friends' simple lives, and the one I used to live, but there's no point complaining about it now, because I'm stuck where I am.

As I undress, and put on some pajamas, I think about how lucky I am. 

My head hits the pillow and I'm out like a light, even though it's only 7:30 pm. 

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW (hopefully). I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 1200 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3

Also who listened to Taylor Swift's new album. I went CRAZY about it. I think that it was worth the wait.