thirty seven

Adrian POV:

I wait at Hazel's locker impatiently, knowing that she's probably in the process of asking 1 of her brothers whether or not she can go out tonight.

However, I doubt that she's telling them who will be joining her.

Hazel's different than all of the other girls. I think that one of the reasons I have taken so much interest in her is that she's off limits. As a 15 year old girl who's the little sister of my 2 best friends, Hazel should be less than attractive to me.

At first, I saw it as a game, but now I'm not as sure. When I was told about what the old English teacher did to her, my blood was boiling, and I instantly saw Hazel in a different light. 

She's loud and is hardly ever afraid to voice her opinion, even though most of those thoughts are offensive. 

Hazel's a stunning young girl and lives life to the fullest. She doesn't focus on her clothes and make up, as much as all of the other teenage girls do.

Then, this afternoon, when I pressured her into telling me what happened, she admitted that a boy touched her. To make it worse, I know that he belongs to a rival gang.

I'm sure that Hazel's brothers would be less than happy to hear about her being associated with him, but I'm true to my word and refuse to break Hazel's trust.

Suddenly, I see her rushing down the hallway, looking frazzled, and a little confused about her whereabouts. But when she sees me, the girl picks up her pace and begins unlocking her locker, at record speed, while giving me a quick explanation as to why she's late.

"I'm so sorry," she mutters, placing her books and laptop in her bag. "I needed to ask Levi whether I could go out with a friend. But then when I was coming back, I got lost."

When she admits what happens, I suppress the urge to let out a hearty laugh. Everything about her always manages to surprise me. 

"I thought you had a good sense of direction," I say, tilting my head to the side, as a grin rises on my face.

"Apparently not," Hazel murmurs, throwing her bag on her back with an 'oof'.

"Where do you want to go?" I ask, taking the lead. 

"I don't mind, but it better have food," she says, walking next to me.

I hum in approval, as we pass many other students who are leaving the school. Some of them look at us, like we're crazy, while others stare in jealousy.

But I don't pay mind to them. They're like 13 years old. I'm 17, for crying out loud. However, here I am, going on a date with my best friends' little sister, without them knowing. Awkward.

I think I'm falling for Hazel's personality. I think I'm falling for her looks. Her charisma. Her body. Her mind. Her soul. 

A little part of me deep down says that it's wrong. That it's unwise. When I turn 18, whatever relationship we have will become illegal, and I'll have to wait until she's also at a legal age. 

I make sure that we sneak around, so none of Hazel's 3 brothers who are here spot us. I don't think that either me, or Hazel are prepared to make our relationship public. 

Without looking, Hazel begins to cross the road, as a car flies by, and with a quick honk from the vehicle, I pull the girl back. 

She smiles sheepishly at me, recovering from the loud sound that was directed towards her. I glance at her accusingly, before letting go of the collar of her shirt. 

I 'tsk' Hazel gently, before we find a gap in the traffic, and cross the road safely, so none of us get hit.

"We're not going to the city, right? I figured out the hard way that it takes over 30 minutes to get there by bus." Hazel shudders like the memory traumatizes her.

I shake my head, and chuckle loudly, before responding. "No, no. I planned on going to the ice cream place a couple of blocks away. It just opened and is said to be 1 of the best in New York."

She gapes at me like I'm lying to her. "You're joking. Wouldn't it be really busy though?"

I shrug my shoulders as we continue walking, and Hazel has to jog to keep up with me, so I slow my pace. 

"Is it true that you got Sierra expelled?" I ask, looking at the girl standing next to me.

"She was annoying anyway," Hazel explains, briefly, like it doesn't really matter.

I gasp in shock, and Hazel quickly looks at me, thinking that something is wrong, but rolls her eyes when she realises that I'm just be dramatic about her previous statement. 

"Don't roll your eyes at me," I demand in a joking way, lightly hitting her shoulder, as she hits me back.

Soon, I see the ice cream shop loom in the distance. I'm surprised that it's quiet, since I spent all of the final lesson looking for places to take a girl on a date.

Apparently, here is good. Something about girls liking food. 

Hazel's eyes widen in delight when she follows my line of vision. The ice cream store is decorated in pastel colours, and has bold, white letters to make up the shop's name. 

Suddenly, it's me who's struggling to keep up, as Hazel begins motoring towards the new store. I laugh loudly, and follow after the girl, who seems to like food more than me.

That's understandable, though. 

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 14900 reads and 810 votes (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3 

P.S. Someone asked for an Adrian point of view, so here it is. I hope that you all enjoyed seeing his thoughts <3