eighty seven

I adjust myself in the car, finally happy, because I don't have to fight for shotgun. Since the rest of my brothers left for school without me, there's no competition.

Matteo's a speedy driver, and I kind of love it. He's driving extremely fast, however he's doing it safely. 

"So, how's life going, right now?" I ask him, keeping my eyes on the road, so my brother doesn't feel awkward.

"That's a really random question, Hazel," he replies, rolling his eyes. "It's fine, though. Our family's back together now, which is really good."

I hum at his vague response, but leave it be, because there's no point digging for answers when I won't get them.

When the school comes into sight, I check my phone, only to see that I still have time, so I might not be late. 

When Matteo stops the car, I quickly jump out, pulling my bag with me.

"Thanks for the ride, Matteo," I exclaim brightly, and just as I'm about to shut my door, he responds.

"See you after school... Ze."

It's like he's tasting my nickname on his tongue, and it honestly couldn't make me happier. I brightly smile at the full grown man before shutting the door, and running into the school, knowing that I'm going to have a good day.

And it was a good day. At least that's what I tell myself after I crept up on Chase and Charlie, and scared them. 

They were trying to leave school without me, but there was no chance I was going to let them get away with that stunt twice.

In the end, Levi allowed me to have shotgun, despite the whining boys in the back, who made it their personal mission to complain for the entire ride home.

When I got inside, I instantly went up to my bedroom, as I do every night. 

However, today, there was an envelope sitting on my bed, addressed to me. I throw it open straight away, knowing that it must be important, because everyone these days just sends texts or calls if the subject is too long.

The letter is written in cursive, and I carefully read it.

Dear Hazel,

If you are reading this, it probably means that I am dead.

I'm not sure whether this is from old age, a disease, or a mafia man, but nevertheless I am gone. As my youngest child, and only daughter, you must know that when I took you away from the rest of the family, I only had good intentions. 

However now I am regretting thinking of the idea. Women in movies make it seem so easy, but in real life it's a lot more complicated than I originally anticipated. 

I'm sure that your father isn't happy about my death. Or your brothers for that matter. But they'll live. And yes, I am aware that your father is alive, but I'm not sure where he is. 

I'm writing this on your eighth birthday, and the smile on your face brings pain and joy to my heart. Knowing that I'm not going to make it to your eighteenth keeps me up at night, but the thought of you being happy now is enough to contradict that sad thought.

Even though you're not aware of it now, you will soon know that there are five brothers on this planet who love you to death, and a father that has spent the last many years thinking of you.

I understand that they will probably hate me, but I've done the best thing for you, whether you believe me or not. I only ever have your best interests at heart.

You're probably wondering why I would have to leave your father's mafia, and take you with me. He provided a safe, loving home, but it will never be enough to truly escape.

You see, I was born into a mafia, as was your father. We were forced into an arranged marriage, as a way to start an alliance.

Luckily for us, we were already in love with each other at the time, due to the fact that we were the stereotypical 'high school sweethearts.' But my father - your grandfather had told me from a young age that women are very important to his mafia, and the chances of him selling you off as a pawn for another mafia alliance was high.

When your father discovered this, he was quick to end my father's entire mafia, but that left soldiers who didn't have a leader. 

Most of them began targeting me and you, which meant it would be safer if we both left. So far, we've not come to any trouble, but that will change eventually.

When my father died, his best friend took over the mafia, and made it what it is today. The Russian mafia is not one to be messed with, and no matter what, you cannot get near them.

But I fear that I  have already failed you. One of the boys you look at with interest seems to be an enemy, but you're still young, and I don't want to have to step in.

When you go back to your brothers, just know that they will love you so much, and be there for you when you can't be there for yourself.

Your father is the same, and if he is still alive, you two will kick off right away.

Just remember, my sweet little girl that I am always watching over you, and she will love you no matter what. 

Have a nice life, sweety. 

Love, mama

When I have finished reading the letter, I feels tears come to my eyes. Suddenly, everything makes sense. But I'm still left with a lot of questions.

I have my father who can answer them though.

And my brothers too. 

We're a group of people who are closer than family. We're best friends.

My brothers will always be there for me, and there for each other.

That's only due to one reason.

Five's a crowd.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT. Also, thank you very much for 98500 reads and over 4k votes - 4024 votes - (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life.

P.S. OMG, this is the end. I can't believe it. Thank you all so much for reading 'Five's A Crowd.' In the future, I'm hoping to release more books, so please follow me to receive updates. Thank you so much for making it to the end. I've just spent the last hour crying because I don't want to end the book yet, but know that it's the right thing to do. I love you all so much! I'll see you all soon <333