thirty three

When I wake up, my body feels refreshed, and as if I've had the best sleep, recorded by people. Ever.

I stretch my arms over my head, and clamber out of bed, refusing to change my clothes, despite having worn them for who knows how long. Through the window, I can tell that it's bright outside, and I have to question what the time is.

How long was I sleeping for?

I can't seem to find anyone, anywhere, so I resort to shouting their names out, which only accomplishes an echoing noise because the house is that big.

With no other choice, I run back to my bedroom, and pull my phone out, switching it back on, in the process. 

I dial Levi's phone number first since he is my favourite brother. Well not recently, but overall, he's been the kindest, and most supportive.

I'm shocked, to say the least when he doesn't pick up, and the phone goes through to voicemail, where his monotone voice speaks the classic line.

Next is Matteo. As the oldest brother, it's his job to always look out for us. I don't have much hope for him, because he's probably busy, but it's worth a try. 

I hesitantly click his contact icon and wait for his response to be the same as Levi's, but I'm pleasantly surprised when he picks up after the second ring.

I hear some movement from behind him, before Matteo's voice pipes up. "Why are you calling, Hazel? I thought you were asleep."

"I thought I was too, but apparently our accusations are incorrect," I sarcastically comment.

I roll my eyes and feel a wave of adrenaline knowing that Matteo can't see me roll my eyes.

"Mmm. Is there something you want, or are you just calling for the fun of it?" Matteo's voice is beginning to become agitated, and I can tell that his patience today is wearing thin.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, questioning the obvious, which should have been stated when I picked up the call.

"Well, you're all supposed to be in school, but since you overslept into the next day, I decided to keep you all home. Levi's at work though. He has duties to perform as a teacher, now. The rest of us, though, are in the basement. You're welcome to join us," Matteo's cynical words catch me out.

"Since when do we have a basement?"

"Since when do you ask questions? Oh, that's right all of the time," my oldest brother drawls. 

"I know that you can't see me right now," I say, "but just know that I am sticking my tongue out at you, and gagging at that horrendous joke that isn't even funny."

Matteo ignores my words. "There's a door in the kitchen. It's plain white. If you knock on it twice, one of us will let you in."

"This isn't a riddle, Matteo. Why can't you just let me in, without having to knock?" I ask, sassily, pacing around the room. 

"Just do it, Hazel," my oldest brother snaps, before hanging up on the call.

Fine. He doesn't need to be so uptight about it. And besides, I'm curious as to what secret meeting they're holding inside the basement.

I bet that they're painting each other's toe nails, and drinking tea from delicate cups.

I walk to where Matteo directed me, and place my hand on the door. After an intensely deep breath, I finally build up the courage to knock twice.

Then I step back from the door, and wait, thinking that the boys are playing some sick trick on me. I wouldn't put it past them. 

But when the door opens, and I'm confronted with Charlie, a smirk rises on my face. I wonder what's going on in here. 

There's a large circular table with 6 seats neatly positioned, evenly around the table. Chase, Axel, and Matteo, are all sitting in their respective seats, while Charlie goes to sit back down in his chair, next to his twin.

"Have a seat, Hazel," my oldest brother offers, gesturing to each of the seats, around the table that are free.

I choose the one that is furthest away from my brothers, before furrowing my eyebrows, and examining each of them carefully.

Matteo passes me a stack of papers and a pen, looking at me expectantly. 

"What's this rubbish?" I ask in disgust, thinking about all the poor trees.

"Read the title, Hazel," Matteo suggest, in a 'duh' tone.

I nod my head, thinking that this is good advice, before fixing my eyes on the heading, which is bolded in a thick black font.

"Bolivi Mafia Contract," I read aloud, jumping up and down with joy.

"Read through it, and notify us when you come to something you don't agree with," Axel says, emotionlessly.

I nod my head again, lost for words at the opportunity that has just been given to me. I can't believe this.

Within seconds, I have begun reading the fine print, looking over each word with precision. I'm about 9 pages in, when I read something that startles me.

'If, in need for self defense, murder is advisable, if not expected.'

I read the sentence out loud, and tilt my head to the side, as my brothers regain eye contact with me.

"Are you saying that you expect me to kill someone in defense?" I ask, appalled. 

"If it's what the contract says, then yeah," Matteo explains in a bored, looking back down at his phone. 

"I think that you're forgetting that my mother was killed only a few months ago, and that could have been self defense," I dryly retaliate.

"Well maybe if you're going to act like a little girl, you're not cut out for this mafia," Axel mocks me. 

Oh hell no. Now I just have to prove how great I am, for this position. 

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 11300 reads and 632 votes, because it means the world to me, right now. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3