thirteen

I stretch my arms over my head, before rubbing my eyes with a clenched fist. I hate the feeling of having to wake up in the morning. When you want to go back to sleep, but know that you have a day ahead of you.

I just described my current state, if you were wondering.

Matteo told me that I have to go to school today, and honestly after my terrible start yesterday, I'm not feeling very motivated. 

Despite that, I push on. I throw on a white turtle neck hoodie so no one can see the marks that line my collarbone. I can't be bothered to put makeup on. 

Then, I match the top with black yoga pants. It's simple but effective. No part of my body is on display. I grab a hairbrush from the bathroom and slowly comb through the rough tangles. 

I contemplate putting makeup on my face, but decide against it, knowing that I won't look natural with it, because my makeup abilities are very satisfactory.

I glide downstairs after putting my plain white air force 1's on. A girl can always use a little bit of extra height. 

"You look wonderful as always, Ze," Levi says, once I have come downstairs.

"Thank you very much. I woke up this morning and wasn't feeling so good. Is anyone making breakfast... or am I supposed to?"

"Yeah, yeah," Levi says vaguely, after looking down at his phone for a second. 

"Good morning, family," Chase exclaims brightly, skipping into the room.

He's followed by a less enthusiastic Charlie, who grumbles something under his breath about needing alcohol.

"You're only 17 years old, Char. You can't have alcohol yet," Levi scolds lightly, looking through the cupboards for what I can presume is food.

"I don't care."

Levi sighs in defeat, as Axel and Matteo walk into the kitchen, whispering under their breaths to each other. 

"Morning guys," I grumble, as they sit on either side of me.

"Good morning, Hazel," Matteo says formally, kissing the hair on top of my head.

"Hi." Axel's gruff response makes me want to laugh, but I stop myself, and only allow a small chuckle to escape my mouth. 

"I'm happy that you're going to school today, Hazel," Matteo tells me, even though I didn't have a voice in the matter.

"Well, I'm not happy," I announce, tracing a curve in the wooden table with one of my fingers. 

"No one wants to go to school, Ze. We do it for our futures. our jobs," Levi mentions, turning away from the cupboard, and involving himself in Matteo and my conversation. 

"What do you guys do, huh? What are your jobs? You own some fancy hotel chains. Why do I even need to go to school? I'm sure that I'll just inherit some of the company."

My brothers all seem to freeze up my words, and exchange hidden looks between each other. Their faces look in between petrified, and concerned. Even Charlie and Axel, my two emotionless, mean brothers. 

"That's what I thought," I hiss. "Now are we going to school, or are we deciding to be fashionably late today?"

"What about breakfast?" Chase whines.

"I'm sure they have something at the cafeteria. Besides, Hazel's right, you need to get to school before the bell goes. It's only your sister's 2nd day," Matteo observes rigidly.

"Well, I'm driving, because I don't trust either of you two motherfuckers to manage my beautiful car. Am I clear?" Charlie grits his teeth. 

I stand up from my chair, and mockingly salute him. "Eye eye captain. I understand your request."

Axel snorts, but when Matteo throws him a dirty look, my second oldest brother looks back down at his phone, innocently, scrolling through Instagram stories.

"Bye guys. We'll see you tonight," Levi says, gently.

"Hopefully you finish school today," Axel mocks, and Matteo hits him on the back of his head, resulting in a small 'ow.'

Charlie, Chase, and I head out towards the garage, and Charlie picks one of his cars. It's white, and looks like it could travel at a very fast pace. That's fine for me. 

"Buckle up, guys. It's going to be a speedy ride." Even though I'm sitting in the back seat, I can imagine the smirk that is rising upon Charlie's face after he said that.

I groan, but comply to his request. Within a minute, Charlie has sped away from the house, and clocked up to 80km an hour in a 50 zone. 

Cuss words are escaping Chase's mouth, as he demands that his twin brother slows down, but he doesn't seem to hear, or maybe he's just not listening. 

It takes us just over five minutes to squeal into the school carpark, and when we stop, I'm holding onto my seat for dear life. I continuously pant in terror, before recovering.

"Stop being a wuss, Hazel. I wasn't even going that fast," Charlie scoffs, turning his attention away from me.

The mean twin brother gets out of the car, and approaches a set of girls, who all bat their eyelashes expectantly at him. 

Chase helps me out of the car first, before doing the same thing as Charlie.

I roll my eyes at their teenage antics, and head into school, trying to find Dolly, who probably thinks I stood her up yesterday. 

When I'm walking inside the doors, my eyes scan around the hallway, and as I continue walking, I slam into a wall.

I over pronounce a bunch of profanities in my Australian accent, before looking at the wall. Except it's not a wall. It's a human, and he's looking at me with amusement. 

"You should watch where you're going darling," he says in a raspy voice.

Then he walks off. 

What the fuck?!

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for over 1300 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3