seventy two

I spent the rest of the day talking on the phone with Adrian. I discussed with him my worry and fear regarding the mafia choice, and he said that he, my brothers and my father would love me no matter the decision I make.

That night, we all had to eat dinner together in the dining room, much to my father's dismay, who was grumbling away, and desperately wanting to sit on the couch and watch television as a family.

Matteo however, was determined that we all eat as a civilized family at the dinner table together, and completely disregarded our father's whining.

Although our father is in charge of the house, it seems that while he is still injured, Matteo is the one to finalize all of the decisions.

I slide into my plush leather seat, groaning as my back cracks under the straight posture of the chair.

Once we're all seated, maids bring out our food for the night, and I gratefully thank them for their services.

My father says a heart filled speech which results in Chase and Charlie looking at each other for one second, before cracking up in laughter, as if his words are the funniest thing to ever exist.

"I just want you all to know how much I appreciate this. Getting to eat dinner with my family after eleven years of torture means the world to me. I'm so happy to get to see all of you, even though you're all grown up now, and resemble adults instead of the young children and babies I used to know you as. Thank you for rescuing me- and Hazel- out of that place, I will forever remember the feeling of happiness as tears welled up in my eyes at the thought of finally being reunited with my entire family again."

What about my mother? I think in my head, but do not voice my thoughts, because I don't want to make my father upset.

He sits back down in his chair after talking, and no one says anything. Slowly, Chase and Charlie's laughter dies down, and we're all just sitting there tensely.

My father adjusts his arm inside of the sling, propping his injured shoulder on the table, to relieve his sore body. 

Matteo clears his throat loudly, and mumbles something along the lines of 'you can all start eating now.'

No one has to tell me twice.

I dig my knife and fork into the food, and stuff my face with the stuff I have been given for dinner.

The only sounds that can be heard throughout the large dining room is the movement of cutlery against the plates, and the echo the catches it.

Suddenly, I decide to speak, breaking the awkward, and un- needed silence that has erupted in the room. Silence speaks louder than any words. Not the words I'm about to share, though.

"I'm made my decision," I announce proudly, knowing that my entire family will want to hear my answer.

Matteo is the first person to look at me, as well as the first person to respond to my words. "What have you decided on?"

I have caught the attention of the entire room now, as I drag it out a little, knowing that very quickly, some of my younger brothers will get frustrated.

"Hurry up, Hazel," Charlie snaps in a rushed tone. "Tell us what you decided. None of us have all day. I know I have places to be."

Axel scoffs at his younger brother's words. "Places to be? This isn't about you, dimwit. It's about your little sister making a very important choice that will impact my future, as well as yours. So shut up, and listen to what she has to say."

"Thank you, Axel," I gratefully say, nodding my head in approval to the young man. "As I was about to say, I have decided to join that family mafia, as well as all of its traditions, and the things that come with it."

My words are followed by many cheers of excitement, but when my eyes find my father, I see that he doesn't look as happy. I understand that he wasn't enthusiastic about my choice to join the mafia. But that's what it was.

My choice. Not his.

And if he's the supportive, loving father that he, as well as my brothers claim that he is, then he will have to accept me no matter what.

Besides, he's the one that ruled this mafia for many years, and it was the reason he was taken, and probably the main cause that my mother had to kidnap me away from this family.

But despite the issues we have, we're family, and if he really loves me, then he will embrace me into this new lifestyle with open arms, just as my brothers have done, despite their hesitation.

"I'm so happy for you, Ze," Levi says from next to me, pulling me into a quick side hug, and squeezing me slightly.

"Thank you, Levi," I exclaim happily, holding a large, toothy grin, at the thought of what my future holds for me.

"Congratulations, Hazel. If you will join our father and I in my office after dinner, we'll go through what you'll have to do as a first mission, considering you're now officially a member of this mafia," Matteo says blankly, but I can see through his stony expression.

His eyes convey a completely different story, and he looks beyond happy as well as proud.

It makes my heart swell that people are proud of me. 

But at the end of the day, I'm doing this for me, and not for them.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 69200 reads and over 2k votes- 2663. (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3 

P.S. This is an early chapter, because I have to go to the cricket tonight. AGAIN. As usual I wanted to update for you all, because I am on a seventy two day streak and would hate to break it. I hope that you all enjoyed it. I'll see you tomorrow night.