sixteen

My breathing becomes irregular, and it becomes difficult for air to enter my lungs. After a couple of minutes, I take control of myself, and look at my surroundings, remembering that I am in Levi's car, not in Fletcher's English classroom.

My third oldest brother continues driving, having not noticed my fear and anxiety spike through the car roof. I watch soundlessly as Levi turns into the house's driveway, before stopping the car, and looking at me through the revision mirror.

He must notice that I look rattled, because he steps out of the car, and opens my door. Levi takes me into his arms and holds me close to him, just like a good big brother should.

"Why do you look scared, Ze? I'm not going to do anything, I'm only frustrated with your friend, for making a boy like you," my brother explains gently.

"She didn't make anyone like me," I snap, but my words are muffled from against his chest. 

"Whatever you say. How about we go inside? I think that it's going to get cold out here, quite soon," Levi suggests, taking my hand, and pulling me toward the house. After shutting the car door, of course. 

"Look who's home," Axel exclaims mockingly, pinching my cheeks after we enter the home.

I slap my brother's hands away and grumble something about doing unfinished schoolwork- also known as homework. 

"Ahh no. Firstly, you and I need to go through the Kant theory for Ethics, which is what I was talking about today in class, but you weren't listening." Levi's voice is louder than it needs, to be, and I scowl at him when Matteo enters the living room.

"You weren't listening in class today, Hazel? Why? I don't pay for your education, so you mess around," my oldest brother expresses, angrily. 

"No, it wasn't like that, Levi's changing the story," I mention quietly, looking at my feet, which now seem very interesting. 

"You know what, Ze? How about you and I head upstairs, and start on your homework? Matteo can talk to you later, once we've finished," Levi proposes, and I gratefully nod my head.

My third oldest brother looks to the eldest of us, who seems less than happy with the proposition, but agrees, because 'my education comes first.'

I carry my books upstairs to the study, and Levi follows behind me, shutting the door, so we won't be interrupted. 

He sits next to me, as I open up my textbooks, folders, and worksheets. We stare at each other for a few seconds, when neither of us say a word.

"I'm only here to guide you, Ze, not do the work for you," Levi explains, matter of factly.

"Then feel free to guide me," I say sarcastically, throwing my pencil against the paper. 

"Start up here and work your way down," my brother points his finger against a question, and slowly talks me through what it means.

When we're halfway through the second worksheet, my phone vibrates from its spot on the table, and when I see the message, I snatch the device into my grasp. 

"What's wrong, Ze? You were doing so well."

My eyes begin to tear up for the first time in ages.

"Hey, what happened, darling? It can't be that bad," Levi's hands rub up and down my arms, trying to calm me down.

"They know." My voice cracks. "Everyone at school knows that I'm your sister."

"Okay? And what's wrong with that, pretty girl?" My older brother asks, wiping my tears away with the pad of his thumb.

"They'll treat me differently," I sob away, placing my head on Levi's shoulder.

He calms me down, before saying: "I think you've done enough work for tonight, and I'm sure that we'll be having dinner soon. I'll talk to Matteo about the situation, and you just need to relax for a couple of seconds," Levi coos, softly, standing up from his chair, and leaving the room after giving my forehead a kiss. 

I read the text that Dolly sent to me, again.

'Hey, I just wanted you to know that people are aware of your sibling relationship. I promise that it wasn't me who told them, and that I'm here for you no matter what xx'

I hate the fact that she put an 'x' at the end. And I'm not sure whether I believe her. Dolly witnessed as my brother exposed my family, and her response wasn't how I planned it. But then again, many other people were walking by, so they could have heard, as well. Or maybe it's just a rumor made by mean people, like Sierra, the girl I met on my first day. 

I decide not to respond to Dolly's message, and instead leave her on opened. I don't know how I'd respond to her message. I'm not going to say something like 'hey, that's fine, I totally believe you :)'. That's not true, and I need to gather my thoughts, before I contact her, while I'm in an irrational state. 

I hear my name being called from downstairs, and instantly turn off my phone, and place it on the table. I tidy up my books, and pens, before gathering them up, and piling them in the cupboard, where they'll live until I need them tomorrow.

With my phone in hand, I run down the steep stairs, smelling the lovely smell of pasta. 

My favourite. 

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for over 1700 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3