26. The Sharpest Sword

The food brought by the the restaurant staff was the best on offer. From appetizers to the main course, it all lavished the senses exquisitely. The variety of foods was so great that some of the meat and seafood were completely unknown to her.

Lalisa tasted everything, but she ate carefully so as to not show the contents of her mouth as she chewed. Jungkook closely observed her as she ate.

"You look beautiful when you eat, too."

"...Eub."

Lalisa choked on her mouthful. She quickly picked up her glass and drank from it, calming her stomach.

"I appreciate what you're saying, but...it's uncomfortable if you keep looking at me like that."

"My eyes can only face you, so where else should I look?"

Lalisa couldn't find anything to say. One would naturally look across at the person they were dining with, but it was normal to avert one's eyes after hearing this. She never expected his answer, let alone one said so brazenly.

Instead of saying anything, she faced Jungkook looking straight at her. Maybe it was time to start the conversation. Dinner was coming to an end, and now was the time to get some answers.

"Do you remember when you said you'd answer my question last time?"

"...Ah."

She couldn't tell whether he didn't really know or if he was pretending. She wouldn't be teased with his vague answer, so she decided to confront him directly.

"According to you we met a long time ago. You said you would tell me about it when we met again, so tell me now."

She held his gaze unblinkingly, and Jungkook was unable to contain a smile.

"Well, I have to keep my word."

He murmured reluctantly as he placed down the fork he was holding.

"When I was thirteen, I saw you at the palace."

"...The palace?"

She cast her mind back. She seldom traveled from Blaise castle in the southern region to the distant capital, though one of her favorite memories from a young age was going to the capital to visit the palace. However, there was no sign of Jungkook in those few memories.

Lalisa was quiet for a moment, then spoke to Jungkook wonderingly.

"...Is that it?"

"Then what do you want me to say?"

Lalisa was lost for words. It didn't make any sense that he would be so generous to her because of a chance encounter. She wondered if she really did meet him in some dim, forgotten memory. It didn't make sense to have this kind of relationship after meeting each other at thirteen years of age.

Tonight, Jungkook already purchased a private box at an opera and rented an entire restaurant for a private dinner. He also had given her a highly skilled subordinate, Jimin, and commanded him to obey Lalisa's every order.

No matter how much she thought about it, these weren't simple favors for a contract marriage partner.

Lalisa needed him to explain.

"Did we really met when we were thirteen?"

"Yes."

"So the day I remember was in reality the second time we met?"

"Yes. The day you saved my life."

She was so stunned she almost accidentally knocked the table. None of her questions were solved. Why on earth was Jungkook so good to her?