57. Just Wait

"Welcome."

She immediately bowed her head before him.

"Hail His Majesty the Emperor. Eternal glory to the Ruford Empire."

"Ho ho, such a formal greeting between us."

Gongyoo spoke in an easygoing manner and gestured to a seat opposite of him. He looked more ill than he did at the ball, but his eyes were soft and his gentle aura was unchanged.

"You must be tired from your journey, so please, have a seat."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

Lalisa quietly seated herself where he indicated.

The landscape architecture of the annex gave the impression of a building floating on a pond, and the table before her was weighted down with a variety of food, steam rising as if it had just been freshly prepared. She didn't know how far away the kitchens where from here, but she knew it was not easy to set this enormous quantity of dishes in such a short time. This would be unthinkable in a typical noble family's home. This only served to make Lalisa feel a little uneasy, as Gongyoo seemed to paying a great deal of attention to her.

"I asked the chef to prepare a variety of dishes, but I'm not sure what will suit your taste. I don't have much, but please eat."

"Thank you. I don't even know where to start because all of it looks so delicious, Your Majesty."

"What, this? This is nothing to a member of the Imperial Family."

There was an implication to his words, but Lalisa smiled innocently.

And so the uncomfortable meal began. There were all kinds of rare and exotic dishes, but her mind was so preoccupied with other things that she could not concentrate on their taste. Gongyoo, on the other hand, was having a pleasant time.

"I hear you've been seeing Jungkook, is that right?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"I was curious what kind of lady my son was seeing. So? Is my son good?"

Gongyoo's questions were more ordinary than she expected, but that only made her even more nervous. He wouldn't send an invitation to ask about trivial things.

"Yes, he is very generous to me and I'm very happy."

"That's good to hear."

He took a slow sip of water, then fixed her with a more serious expression.

"I hear that Jungkook is considering marriage with you, is that right?"

"Yes. It would be my honor to be his first wife, with your permission."

"By your answer I assume you know about the prophecy, and that your father is in favor of the marriage as well?"

"Yes, that's right."

Lalisa immediately nodded. However, despite the confidence of her answer, Gongyoo's expression turned dark. Unlike the friendliness of his appearance when he first welcomed her, his features gradually morphed into that of a ruthless emperor's, as if to reveal his true intent.

"I understand. I must commend you for your trust in Jungkook. But there is another family bargaining for a match with my son."

Lalisa's eyes widened in surprise. She remembered what Jungkook said. He had already told his father that he intended to marry her and that she needn't worry. Did Jungkook know about this? She wondered which family offered the match, but what was more concerning now was that Gongyoo didn't seem to favor her side.