167. If I Am With Him

After meeting with Chief Chanatha, the military procession marched towards the capital as originally planned. Crowds flocked the city to welcome their return.

"Long live the Emperor! Long live the Empress!"

Enthusiastic cheers poured out in celebration as the soldiers paraded through the streets. Some of the Ruford people had initially sided with Namgil, but when they learned that he had sold parts of the Empire to the Kelt Kingdom, the people became betrayed and angry. Land and slaves were usually offered as tribute when another kingdom was involved in the struggle for the throne. Since the damage was left to the people, Namgil's support had quickly plummeted. The crisis was averted when Jungkook and Lalisa took victory, and the people were joyous.

Finally, the dazzling carriage carrying Jungkook and Lalisa stopped at the entrance to the palace. When the carriage door opened, Jungkook stepped out first, then held out his hand for Lalisa. The appearance of the Emperor and Empress drew out loud cheers from the crowd.

"Waaaaaaah—"

Jungkook, oblivious to the celebrations around him, picked up Lalisa in both his arms once again, then walked to the Imperial Palace, the crowd still applauding and shouting wildly behind them. He spoke as he headed forward.

"You can relax now that we're at the Imperial Palace."

"Yes, I will."

"I'll be in charge of the investigation, so don't worry about the curse and just focus on your recovery."

The meeting with Chanatha gave them a big clue on how to move forward, but that was only the beginning. They had to find the Zamida fruit first, and then see if it could lift curses just like in the legend. It would take time to go through so many parts.

"However..."

"I will regularly report my progress to you. You're pregnant now, so please rest easy."

He was truly concerned about the injuries Lalisa sustained in the early stages of her pregnancy. She understood his worry, and she gave a nod.

"I know. This curse won't be solved overnight anyway, so I'll do as you wish."

Jungkook's expression softened with relief, and he leaned his head towards her. He lay a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you for understanding me."

"But of course. I know you're worried about me."

They were used to showing affection like this now, but those in the Imperial Palace were amazed. No emperor had ever acted like this before.

"G-greetings to His Majesty the Emperor and Her Majesty the Empress. Eternal glory to the Ruford Empire."

Each of the palace servants gave them a respectful bow, then stepped away to give them a wide berth. Lalisa was a little embarrassed by it, but she smiled when she saw Jungkook's warm blue eyes staring at her. Rather than being ashamed by him, she basked in the tenderness of the moment.

Normally she would have asked him to set her down by now, but when she did not protest, Jungkook looked at her in slight surprise.

"You didn't ask me to put you down. I thought you didn't like attracting attention."

"Not necessarily. It's true that I worry about undermining your authority, but I can't hate being in your arms. It's just..."

Her words trailed away, and Jungkook looked at her curiously. Color flooded her cheeks, and she dropped her voice.

"I just don't want the others looking at me when I'm so happy. It's embarrassing if my face is different from usual. I don't want my feelings towards you to be out in the open..."