6 | Far From Over

𝓢ympathy, I hate the look of sympathy and that's exactly the look this gray-eyed officer was giving me. I really was regretting my choices right now.

And out of all the cops that could have been sitting in that car, it had to be him.

He cleared his throat, breaking the silence that loomed between us. "Are you alright?" His gaze traveled my figure with unnerving thoroughness.

I nodded my head, appearing as fine as I could be.

If he was looking for external injuries, he would find none, because they were all inside. Inside I was still wrestling down the parts of me that hurt just thinking about that look he had given me before leaving the storage room.

We'd barely exchanged any words before he left and now here I was again. He probably thought I was stalking him and he must feel some sort of pity for me.

This was embarrassing and I didn't want him to think I had come out here looking for him. So besides how shitty he had made me feel, I put on a smile. "Yup, I'm fine."

His dark brow rose and he sighed, running a hand through the dark tendrils of his hair. One lone strand fell across his face. I swallowed, trying to ignore how handsome he looked.

"I'm sorry." He surprised me by saying. "I had to leave. There was a situat—"

"It's alright." I interrupted him, avoiding that damn look of sympathy across his features. I didn't want him to pity me. I rather him feel anything else. "I'm sure you had a good reason." I nodded my head.

I wasn't sure if he bought it, but he nodded back and dropped the subject.

I looked back to my friends who from here looked to be arguing. Probably still about who was gonna drive. I could vaguely make out some words...mostly curse words. I needed to get back to them and get the hell out of here.

This night was becoming a real headache.

I turned my attention back to the officer and was taken aback by his dark scrutinizing gaze. Had he gotten closer or had I? His broad shoulders and wide chest seemed closer to my face and I tried to control my breathing before he noticed how breathless he had made me.

He crossed his arms over one another and shifted his gaze behind me. "Are those your friends?"

"Yeah." I rubbed the back of my neck.

"You know your friend is too drunk to drive right?" He smiled amused as if he could hear exactly what they were arguing about.

I turned, watching them, and I could barely hear their conversation. Either he had amazing hearing or maybe he had just pieced it all together being a cop and all.

I nodded my head, answering his question. "That's actually why I came over here. I was hoping you could give my friend a sobriety test."

He chuckled and finally dropped his eyes to me. His gaze had softened and I found that calming. I felt my face burn and I terribly hoped I wasn't blushing, but as he stared at me, a vision of us in that storage room flashed across my mind and I had to bite my lip hard as my body began sparking to life.

Gods, what was it about this man and the hold he had on my body? Just a simple look and my entire body turned on, feeling needy. That magnetic pull I felt earlier, drawing me towards him, now intensified in his presence.

His eyes narrowed over me as he swallowed heavily, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down, clenching his stubbled jaw tightly. "Fuck." He muttered under his breath as his gray eyes closed for a moment. His fists clenched as if he were pained.