28 | You are not the Law

𝓐ries could have given the God of War a run for his money. He worked out as if he were prepping for battle and he trained me as if I were following him there.

My muscles were sore, I was full of sweat, and I could hardly breathe. With great duress, I sat myself up from the mat.

"Sore?" He teased.

"I hate you."

Aries chuckled and gave me a hand. "I'll take that as a yes."

My legs buckled beneath me and I stumbled into Aries's chest, but I really didn't care. I was too tired to pull away. If he offered to carry me to my room, I would happily agree.

"Sit." He demanded, not that I would have complained. I obliged and took a seat on the workbench behind me. "You're really weak. Have you ever worked out?"

"No, I didn't have time with school and work, but my job kept me moving a lot."

"You may be thin, but you have no muscle." He smiled. "Don't worry, I'll have you in tip top shape before you know it."

"Maybe I don't want to be in shape." I only said to taunt, because I would love nothing more than to tone out and have more strength and if Aries wanted to volunteer to be my free trainer then so be it.

"Shut up." He smirked. "Now, where does it hurt?"

"My arms, my legs, my soul."

He huffed, but took my arm in his and began gently massaging it. "A hot shower should do you some good. Then come have a meal to replenish your muscles."

The words were trapped in my mouth. A simple nod was all I could give him as those thick fingers pressed soothingly into my aching muscles.

"You're gonna end up killing me, Aries." I closed my eyes. "I don't think I can continue doing this everyday."

"This was just the warm up, Eva."

"What?" I opened my eyes and found sincerity in his gaze. He wasn't lying. "I guess I really am weak."

He switched to the other arm. "We'll change that."

I knew he was honest. That was our thing I guess, but I also knew getting in shape would mean spending a lot of time with him and we already had dinners together. I felt as though I was getting further and further from Eros, but until he refused to tell me the truth what could I do?

Give in?

No, there had to be another way.

I thought I would never adapt to Aries's workouts, but after a few days, it seemed my body had begun to adjust. I didn't feel as exhausted as before. My body surprisingly recovered well.

As another day dawned, I woke up feeling renewed. I felt a surprising sense of energy and now I was eager to start my training. However as I made my way towards the gym, it was eerily quiet and empty. I'd quickly gotten used to the familiar sounds of music and bustling activity of Aries, but he was absent today.

I wondered where he was. He was always punctual and dedicated to our training sessions. Something felt off, and I couldn't shake the nagging feeling of concern.

Eros had been absent from breakfast this morning as well. His usual spot at the table had remained unoccupied. I assumed he had an early morning, but I wasn't sure now. He had left a handwritten note on the table telling me he was out following a lead. Around noon, he sent me a text, reminding me to eat.

But now with both of them gone, unease stirred within me. Something had clearly captured the attention of both Eros and Aries.

When dinner rolled around and they didn't walk in, I felt that unease grow. I opened my phone and found Aries's number already saved in my contact list. For a whole hour I debated messaging him, but I kept thinking any second him or Eros would come walking through the door. When they didn't I shot him a message, but he never replied, and neither had Eros.