36 | Like a Dagger

𝓜y routine was slightly thrown off balance. It was later in the day than usual. Though I still felt a sense of apprehension, I decided laying in bed would resolve nothing.

I decided not to postpone things further and got up. After a refreshing shower and a late meal, I changed into my workout clothes. Eros had informed me before he left that Aries had gone out last night and a part of me was thankful for that.

I wasn't sure if he was home now, but if he was, I hoped he didn't yet know about Eros and I. I wanted to talk to him about it, but maybe after working out, once my nerves were calmer.

As I entered the gym, the familiar sound of music was drowned over the sound of Aries's fists hitting the punching bag...hard.

I approached him with a smile.

"You're late." He said without sparring me a glance.

My heart sank and I wondered if he already knew about Eros and I or if maybe something had happened when he'd been out last night?

Either way, it was clear he was in a mood. "We can train another time if you're—"

"No need." Aries halted his assault of the punching bag and took his customary spot on the mat. "I want to see how much you've improved."

"Why?"

His ash-colored eyes shot my way, making me feel unsteady. "Show me you can defend yourself." He said sternly. "Take your spot, Eva."

Nervousness tingled throughout my body. I had sparred with Aries before, but this felt different. I knew I had made progress under his guidance, but my current emotional state seemed to add an extra layer of unease.

I wanted to talk with Aries and address what was going on, but he didn't give me a chance. The second I took my spot, Aries came at me.

He moved with heightened speed and precision, making it challenging for me to keep up. All my attempts to strike or defend were effortlessly thwarted by Aries's skillful blocks and counters, leaving me increasingly frustrated.

After what felt like an eternity of struggling to match Aries's abilities, he pinned me down once more and my frustration reached its peak. All that progress I felt I had made was thrown out the window.

Aries's thighs were on either side of me, and with one hand, he had both of my wrists pinned almost uncomfortably above me. "Free yourself." He demanded.

"I can't." I seethed.

I know he had taught me how to escape this, somewhere in my head were the answers, but my brain was too scattered. Aries was so heated, so close and my struggles did nothing but tire my already tired body out.

Aries bent low and a surge of heat suddenly coursed through me as his face came close to my own. "Free yourself." He said, squeezing my wrist and with that demand my body obeyed. A muscle reflex took over and followed a motion we'd practice before.

I wasn't completely free but I managed to get one leg out, leaving his thigh between me. My body was going crazy over his proximity. I couldn't let this go on any longer. "I give." I demanded but Aries stayed firmly above me, keeping me pinned between him and the floor.

"Do you think your enemy would give you a chance to flee?"

"I'm not in the mood, Aries. I'm tired."

"Are you?" His grip tightened. "Why would you be so tired, sweet girl? What were you doing all night that has you so weak today?"

Fuck, he knows. He has to know and he's obviously furious. This is not the time to talk about anything. He needs to cool off.

"Aries, you're hurting me." I whispered, the sting of his grasp on my wrists pulsed through my blood hotly. His steely eyes were stark and possessive and I couldn't help but feel that he sees right through me.