39 | Tip the Scales

𝓜y heart skipped a beat as Eros confirmed my suspicions with a single nod.

The revelation sent a surge of conflicting emotions coursing through my veins. I was caught between disbelief and a strange sense of exhilaration.

Just this morning I had been questioning what sleeping together meant. If he would want more, and now, the notion that Eros saw me as his soulmate was both overwhelming and thrilling. The intensity of Eros's gaze, filled with longing and vulnerability, assured me that he too was grappling with the weight of his confession.

His words created an electric tension between us.

As I glanced at Aries, he too shared a similar look. Answering with his eyes the similar question I had just asked of Eros. I wasn't sure what was happening, but my heart was beating like a wild animal, swelling with anticipation and trepidation.

"This is a lot." I sighed, wanting to sit or leave, but determined to stay.

"That's why we start slow, Eva." Aries chimed in.

As I looked at him, a part of me wondered if he was still upset with me? His expression was still guarded.

I found myself slightly pacing as each revelation made me feel something new, different, and complex. So Victor was the guy after me. He wanted revenge because he believed Eros was responsible for Scarlette's death. And Eros believed I was his mate.

I couldn't deny that I had some deep twisted connection with him, but the term mate was as thrilling as it was terrifying.

"How did Victor find out? I mean we interacted just a few times. Even if you believed me to be your mate. There had to be other women besides me and Scarlette?"

Eros shook his head. "Scarlette was not my mate." His correction shook me from within.  "I loved her, but as a dear friend and nothing more. Victor was the one to assume Scarlette and I were...were together, and I supposed I let him think that to anger him some more, but other than you Eva, there has been no other woman that has made me act so recklessly." He sighed. "I should have been more careful, but you, you drew me right in the second you saw me."

I thought back to that night. My mind reeled through the events, a play-by-play. I remembered dancing, having fun, and then suddenly being drawn to Eros's eyes. The second my gaze connected with his I'd felt something I was only beginning to understand now, and a swirl of questions, of doubts began to swarm my mind.

The words I'd heard Aries utter before I barged in clicked into the puzzle.

"There's something more, isn't there?" I stopped pacing, bringing my stern gaze into Eros's eyes. "I heard Aries mention it...I heard you repeat it." I recalled. "Why were you there that night at the rave? Were you really on duty or were you..." Fuck, it was almost impossible to get the words out, but the anticipation of not knowing was suffocating. I collected my breath. "Were you following me?"

Eros' expression shifted, a hint of remorse accompanied by hesitance. "I was on duty," He confessed. "But... I was also there to keep an eye on you, because I knew you'd be there, and I couldn't help myself."

What the hell...

A jumble, a torrent of emotions swirled within me, making it difficult to speak, to sort through the turmoil. Anger, betrayal, and a sense of violation clashed with the glimmer of understanding I'd had for Eros.

"How did you know I would be there!?' The words sliced through the tension in the air.

I wanted to lash out, to demand an explanation for his actions, for the breach of my privacy, but Eros shook his head, telling me what he wouldn't explain further with his eyes. That I won't like the answer. That I'm not ready for that answer.