23 | Cordial

𝓘ndigo was a rather big city, tucked between mountains and surrounded by forest. The deeper out you went, the heavier the woods grew. And with the amount of large pines and absence of cars, I realized we were a fair distance from Indigo. Closer to the mountains.

Eros turned into a dirt path that was well hidden, easy to miss from the road. I suddenly realized why he'd brought his jeep instead of his charger. The asphalt was gone now.

As we came to a gate, he got out to open it and did the same once we'd entered to close it. The path was a bit bumpy and we were definitely headed deeper into the woods, winding through a hill.

I started to feel nervous. Beside me there was nothing but lush green forestry. No civilization for miles. Maybe he owned a small cabin up here.

"It's easy to get lost here, so I'll show you around once we get there."

Show me around? "So you haven't brought me out here to kill me?" I said dryly.

"Eva." He warned, shaking his head nonetheless.

After what felt like an hour, we rounded a corner and seemingly out of nowhere stood a massive cabin. If you could even call it that. It was decently sized, hidden behind an iron gate. It seemed so out of place. Large enough to be a retreat.

"This is your place?"

"My place is in town. This is more of a getaway."

The gates opened as we neared the gate and we pulled into a driveway. I sat up straighter in my seat in awe of the large estate before me. I was surprised it wasn't visible from the road and it made me wonder how Eros could own such a place?

I knew cops made money, but enough to afford a luxurious cabin in the woods? Enough to have more than one nice car? He had to do something else on the side to afford all of this.

Maybe he had inherited it? But if he had an inheritance, why would he be wasting his time working as a cop?

Something wasn't adding up.

"Come on." Eros suddenly unbuckled my seatbelt, I hadn't even realized we'd stopped.

He got out and took my things from the back. I waited for him, watching the place in awe until he came around and led me towards the entrance.

The massive double doors suddenly swung open. For a moment, I thought a magical force had opened them. I mean at this point I wouldn't be surprised, but the illusion was quickly shattered as a woman in a gray maid's uniform stepped out from inside.

"Mr. Blackwell, we're happy you've returned." She warmly greeted Eros.

"Eva, this is Hazel." He introduced, his voice calm and reassuring. "She takes care of the estate and assists with various tasks around here."

Hazel was an older woman, probably in her mid to late fifties. Her once golden hair had grayed, but her blue eyes were still bright as ever.

"Hello, Madame." She greeted me with a warm smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you." She said kindly.

I managed a polite smile in return trying to hide my bewilderment. So not only did he have nice cars, and a fancy cabin, but he had a maid too.

Her blue eyes gazed at the bags in Eros's hands. "Shall I have Saul take those up to her room?" She said to Eros.

My room?

"Yes, please." Eros set my bags inside the entryway as we stepped inside.

Wow, this place was as beautiful as it was on the outside. It definitely could have been a luxury resort. The foyer itself had me in awe. A beautiful crystal and wood chandelier hung high in the ceiling, giving a warmth to the wooden structure. Large paintings in hues of green, blue, and gray, much like the outdoors lined some of the walls. Before me were two grand staircases, each leading to a different wing upstairs.