30 | Clarity

"𝓣ell me what happened that night, please." I took a deep breath, my heart still heavy with emotions as I sat beside Aries in the cozy living room. The crackling sound of the fireplace provided a comforting backdrop to our conversation.

I met Aries's gaze, searching for answers.

Aries leaned back on the couch, his arms crossed over one another, relaxed but attentive. "Are you sure?" His voice was stern, but compassionate, searching my eyes for any sign of hesitation or doubt.

I know he was making sure I was fully prepared to hear the truth and the potential consequences it might have to my well-being, but I needed clarity.

With a deep inhale, I nodded my head, ready to face the reality head-on. I need to know what happened that night.

Aries nodded, acknowledging my decision. "I knew right away that your house had been set on fire intentionally. I had to pull that nailed window apart to get you. So, the second Eros appeared, I took off. I knew whoever was behind it was likely not far and I knew it was probably your ex. He had threatened you not too long ago."

I didn't bother to push him about how he knew my house was on fire and for now that seemed the least important thing to worry about.

Aries continued as I listened intently.

"I tracked him down and gave him a good beating but he was able to escape once the cops arrived." He shook his head, anger in his gaze. "Eros was pissed when he was let go on bail and before we could find him he was able to go into hiding. I'm sure Eros has told you your ex wasn't working alone?"

I nodded.

"Eros and I knew it was only a matter of time before he showed himself again. I don't think he was counting on you surviving the night of the fire, so that pushed him. When we found him, he was not too far from the hospital. He didn't know we had checked you out, he thought you would still be there recovering and he was waiting for you." His hands balled into fists as he met my eyes. "He had a fucking bag with duct tape, chloroform and a knife."

My heart sank hearing those words. I felt like the glass had finally shattered on a false reality I was living, one where Jeremy had once loved me. The truth was before me, he was a monster, and that betrayal broke my heart.

"How did he die?" I croaked, feeling the sting of tears in my throat.

"Eros initially arrested him after we found him. We took him out to question him and see if we could get any information out of him."

Fuck, somehow all this had gone on while I was here in the safety of their home.

"What did he say?"

"Did Eros tell you about the debts he had?"

"Yes." Unfortunately,

"Well, the person he was working for told him that if he killed you, he'd pay him off. So your insurance money, plus what the other person would have paid him would have been enough to pay off his debts and live a carefree life. We were going to turn him in..." His eyes glanced at the fire, his jaw wound tightly.

"What happened?"

Aries sighed. "He was furious when he found out we had taken you in. He started bad mouthing you, things got heated, he came at Eros with the knife and Eros stopped him."

"You mean he killed him." My voice dropped. So he hadn't just killed him senselessly, he'd also just been defending himself.

What the hell had Jeremy become? I quickly wiped away the few tears that shed for him. I felt exhausted. Jeremy may be gone, but there was still another person out there who wanted me dead and that only added to my growing weariness.

"Aries, who is the other person that wants me dead?" I sighed. "I'm sick of this."

"I know." He nodded, his gaze tinged with understanding. "We'll fix it and get your life back on track, Eva, but this man, he isn't like your ex. He's got resources, he's cunning, and he has a lot of power."

"But why does he want me dead?"

Aries's expression became guarded, his gray eyes clouded with memories of unspoken pain. He hesitated for a moment, likely contemplating how much he should reveal. Finally he sighed before speaking, choosing his words carefully. "I can't tell you much, Eva, but he is someone from mine and Eros's past, someone who holds a great deal of power." He admitted, his voice laced with a hint of anger.

"So he's someone you two knew?"

He nodded.

They must have severely pissed him off. "What did you do to him?" I surmised.

Aries's eyes met mine, filled with a hint of regret and determination. "We each burned him in our own way, but I can't say he didn't deserve it, Eva. He believes Eros took something from him, but that's Eros's story to tell and as for me, let's just say I did something he didn't like, something that made him look weak."

"So this is revenge."

"It's far more than revenge, Eva."

My brows furrowed, trying to understand, but I could sense that there was so much more to their story, hidden beneath layers of unresolved history. Maybe someday they would let me in and tell me the whole truth, but for now, at least I had a piece of the puzzle.

So the man that wanted me was seeking some sort of revenge for something Eros and Aries did to him.

Aries reached out, taking my hand in his and rubbing gentle circles.. "I know you're still confused, but we're reaching that hard line between what you should and shouldn't know."

"Would it be so bad to know?"

"I understand your need for truth, Eva," Aries said, his voice gentle yet tinged with caution. "But remember that truth can come at a price. It can change everything you know. Don't you want your life to go back to normal?"

Did I? After everything that had happened, I was exhausted, numb and depressed. I would give anything to return to my normal life. To go back to my office job, spend time with my friends, cuddle up in my bed.

I nodded my head, besides the nagging sensation in my chest that told me otherwise.

"Eva," Aries's stormy eyes sailed my way. "Grieve if you must, but what happened to Jeremy isn't your fault. He made his choices. You shouldn't feel guilty for being alive. He could've left you alone. He could've been a better man." He finally sat up off the couch. "I know this is all a lot to handle, but we'll make it right and your life can go back to how it used to be."

How it used to be... those words hung heavy in the air once more, because the idea of returning to my old life also meant returning to my previous existence without Eros and Aries, and for some odd reason, that thought filled me with an unsettling emptiness. There was a void inside me that yearned for something more than normalcy.

The more I unraveled it, the more I realized what I truly longed for wasn't my old life, but rather, it was safety and security that I craved.

As I look at Aries, the thought of venturing back into the world, without their protection or support tugged at my heart. And I realized that their presence, in a short time, had become an anchor in my messy life.

"You should get some rest." Aries gave me his hand for me to take. The moment I reached out to take it, his strong grip enveloped and reassured me.

"Thanks for telling me at least somewhat of the truth." I whispered.

Aries gave my hand a light squeeze. A sense of trust and understanding lingered between us, something I yearned for with Eros as well. And after hearing what Aries had to say, I knew I'd have to face Eros soon.

A/N: We're officially ten chapters away from the end of book one! I mentioned at the start of this book that I had skipped adding certain tags to this book, but I will be revealing one of the tags for this book on my IG stories before I official add it to the tags on Wattpad. I'm sure you all will like it ;)