24 | Fear Me

𝓜y heart clenched looking at the black bags on the bed. Truth be told, I didn't want to look through them. I wasn't ready to deal with it. I already knew whatever was in there wasn't important. A few charred remains of the house I worked so hard to buy...granted Jeremy had helped.

We were a couple back then. Trying to build our lives together.

I was so naive.

I thought that Jeremy was the one and now I was just thankful I hadn't married him. What kind of life would I have lived? Marriage was a big deal in our religion.

A woman was to always stand beside her husband... no matter what.

If I'd married him, would I have had to forgive Jeremy if he had cheated? Thinking back now, I think Jeremy had always been a cheater from the start. That's why he didn't mind that I never slept with him, because he was getting it elsewhere.

I thought some of his excuses to be out of the house, or for coming home late were odd sometimes, but I had been too naive, or too blind to see it. He was cheating, and it only made my blood boil thinking about how he had been seeing me as a fool the entire time.

I'd never once strayed from him and even though he had, he made sure I never did. Bastard.

I used to think it was cute how possessive he'd get when guys in college tried to talk to me, tried to get my number or slip me theirs. I never flirted with them, but because of how they acted Jeremy seemed to think I did.

He'd often get so mad it would blow up into full on fights but then he'd come right back, telling me he was sorry and that he loved me and that as soon as we graduated and got our house, he'd ask me to marry him.

Oh, I could use a drink right now. A nice, full, glass of wine.

I'd gotten myself from one fucked up scenerio to another.

From one cage to the next...even if this new cage was far more luxurious, it was still a cage, gilded as it may be.

I left the bags alone and walked around the room. It had a very nice, and very empty, walk-in closet. I quickly shut that. I found the remote to turn on the wide flat screen hanging on the wall. A sat on an armchair, wrapping a wool blanket around me as I examined the rest of the room.

It was spacious. A mixture of cabin with a modern touch. The wooden walls looked rustic, but had a nice light tone. I had another one of those lovely chandeliers in here, this one smaller, and more like candles instead of crystals.

A big soft fur rug was tucked under and around the queen sized bed that was lined with many throws on top of the white sheets. The chimney beside me was already on.

I used to love the chimney at my place.

With the wool blanket around me, I stood, making my way to the ensuite and paused. Woah. This was nice. I had a double vanity in here, a massive bathtub, and a shower big enough to fit a group of people.

What the hell did Eros do to afford all this? Maybe this was an inheritance? Maybe this was once a resort and once he inherited it, he remodeled it and kept it for his? Aries lived here too so it made sense if it was an inheritance.

I sighed.

Everything was so nice.

I finally hopped on the bed, hating how comfortable even the damn bed felt. It was like a cloud. So soft and warm, I could fall asleep if I closed my eyes.

Maybe I should sleep? And maybe when I woke up, I would be back in my room and realize that all this was a dream. Ha, I hoped. Instead I turned on my back, looking at the ceiling, ignoring the sounds of the television.