33

On the early morning of Bulma's birthday, you wake up to find Goten snuggled up next to you in bed. Rubbing your eyes tiredly, you sit up carefully, trying not to disturb him. Your gaze scans the room for Goku, and that's when you notice a note sticking out from under Goku's pillow.

As you read the note, you can't help but sigh in exasperation. It seems that Goku went back to King Kai's place for some additional training. "I'm not even upset. At least he listened to me last night, so it's fine," you mumble to yourself, stretching tiredly. Making sure not to wake Goten with your movements, you get out of bed and plant a motherly kiss on his forehead.

About an hour later, you're up and about, preparing breakfast. You can sense the energy of everyone who is present: Goten, Calalo, Bardock, and Turles. They are still asleep, or at least they were until you hear Calalo's giggles, a bit louder than she probably intended. Your cheeks flush with embarrassment at the sound.

Goten is the next one to wake up, yawning cutely as he sleepily trudges into the kitchen and wraps his arms around your leg, still more asleep than awake.

You chuckle softly and pause what you're doing to gently pick him up, holding him in one arm while you continue cooking with the other. Your tail comes in handy as you cradle Goten, who quickly falls back asleep with his face nestled against the crook of your neck.

Goten starts to wake up again as soon as he catches the scent of pancakes, blinking his eyes open blearily before focusing on the delicious aroma. "Pancakes!"

You giggle, nodding. "Yeah, I thought it would be nice to have them today before we head over to Bulma's. But I can't decide what to add to them. We have chocolate chips, and we also have strawberries..." You trail off teasingly, and Goten suddenly becomes full of energy. "Both, please!"

You smile and nod. "Okay then. Do you want them mixed into the batter or on top of your pancakes?"

Goten pouts cutely as he thinks. "Inside the batter!"

A few minutes later, Goten is helping you with the pancakes when Turles lets himself in through the front door.

"So, you're finally back," Turles remarks. You turn around, smiling at him. "Yeah, and I see you are too, Turles." You respond, accepting the hug he gives you before his tail wraps around yours. "Where's Goku?"

You hum softly. "Morning training session, which I'm fine with, but he won't be here until it's time for Bulma's birthday... Hopefully," you sigh.

Turles grunts softly, resting his chin atop your head as he eyes the pancakes. "So what you're saying... is that I get you all to myself until he returns."

You roll your eyes. "I thought you two decided to end the whole sharing thing?"

Turles scoffs. "As if I'd willingly do that. I already know I'm your backup, even if you say otherwise."

You shake your head, amused by his persistence.

"Well, Mr. Backup, why don't you help Goten with mixing the next batch of pancake batter? He's already doing a pretty good job, so maybe he can teach you a thing or two," you tease, causing Goten to giggle as Turles feigns offense. "I can cook, woman!"

You hum innocently. "Well then, by all means, lend a hand, won't you?"

Goten grins up at Turles, handing him the bowl of pre-cut strawberry pieces. "Here, you can add these in! I'm doing the chocolate chips!"

Turles grumbles. "Fine, nephew. But only because I prefer fruit anyway." He ruffles Goten's hair before joining in to help.

A few moments later, Calalo peeks her head into the kitchen, smiling at the adorable scene before her. Bardock then pulls her into his arms from behind, embracing her lovingly.