28.Final Trial😞

V- I would like to call upon Mrs. Twinkle Kunj Sarna, your Honor.
Vijay requested the jury and got his approval in the form of a slight nod.
It was the third and final hearing of the case.The second one being a casual interaction between Ansh and the Jury, in the presence of his adoptive parents and Abhishek.

Kunj was getting used to being called by the term 'Adoptive', since it felt so awkward at first. He couldn't believe that the child whom he thought his own flesh and blood was not his and that out of nowhere,he would become
the child's adoptive parent.

Twinkle's heart jumped to her throat upon hearing the Jury call her to witness stand. Kunj pressed her palm soothingly before he let her go. As she stood on the stage,she could see every single person present in the courtroom, which only added to her agitation.

V-Ms. Twinkle. He cleared his throat.
Did you know Mr.Kunj before marrying him?

She swallowed the stubborn lump at her throat before answering his question,"No".

V- Then why did you agree on marrying a total stranger?
He leaned his elbow on the railing of the stand.

T- I had met Ansh before marrying Kunj a few times. Ansh was very attached to me and we had an instant connection. I wanted to take care of him when I came to know his mother had passed away.

V- Wow, you must be a very kind hearted woman. Twinkle could sense so much sarcasm in his tone.
" Was it the only reason for getting married to Mr. Kunj Sarna?

T-No. She huffed thinking how was going to explain it to everyone.
My parents didn't want me to continue my studies due to certain reasons and marrying Kunj was my only option to carry on with my course.

V- Ahh... so that was your main motive behind marrying him, right?
Kunj is a very rich and influential person in this society. Marrying him would be lifetime insurance, isn't it?

T- Of course not. Her shrill voice filled the hall. 'Ansh was my first priority .'
She neglected his baseless claims angrily.

V (snorted)- I don't agree with you Ms. Twinkle.
You knew marrying Kunj was the only choice to complete your course successfully and taking care of Ansh was like a price that you had to pay in return. I don't see any other reason for a beautiful woman like you to marry a widower with a child.

T-No, oh God! How do I make you understand this? Twinkle put her head between her palms to ease her nerves.

S- Objection your Honor,he is insulting my client.
Sahil yelled standing up from his seat.

J- Objection over- ruled... You can continue Mr. Vijay... The judge dismissed him politely and turned his attention back to Twinkle, waiting for her explanation.

Twinkle's eyes shifted to Kunj for a flick second. His jaws were hard while his eyes were filled with rage as he stared at Vijay for asking those insulting questions to her but as soon as his eyes caught the attention of Twinkle, his expression softened. He wished to climb next to her and hug her, to take her pain away.

Come on Twinkle, you can do this. Tell everyone why you married Kunj. This is the only chance you have.. she told herself. She knew she had to prove selfless love for Ansh in front of everyone,in order to keep Ansh to herself.

She looked up at the grand ceiling of the hall and took a deep breath, gathering all her thoughts and courage.

T-Your Honor, my birth mother passed away during childbirth. My father remarried and I was brought up by my step mother, who was nothing but cruel to me my whole life.
Her eyes were pooling with unshed tears but she remained composed.
It is true that I had no other option than to marry Kunj in order to complete my education but at the same time,when i got to know Ansh's grandmother searching for a suitable bride for her son, my first thought was not to let Ansh undergo the same torments like me. I wanted him to end up in safe hands and thought why not that safe hands be mine.