Episode 8: Seas and Space

“In an audition for a supporting role, why did you prepare a scene for a sub-lead character with free acting?”

“Because it’s the character that resonated with me the most in the script you sent. While it’s not a role being auditioned for, I wanted to take this opportunity to try acting it out.”

The production team had only found out about the casting gap for the role of ‘Cha Woo-joo’ this morning, so the applicants couldn’t have known beforehand. Assistant Director Jun thought, pondering if this was fate.

“Well, good job, Yeon-woo. I wonder what kind of alcohol I should buy for Cheol-min. You did well. We’ll contact you later, so you can leave.”

The tired expressions of the production team, who had been conducting auditions since lunch, brightened after seeing Yeon-woo.

“Yes. Ryu Yeon-woo an aspiring actor! Thank you.”

After giving a spirited bow, Yeon-woo exited the room.

The door opened again as staff came in.

“The next participant is ready to come in.”

“Oh no, wait a moment. Let’s take about a 10-minute break.”

“Yes, Director.”

Kim Han-soo, the director, closed the door again and looked around.

The other members of the production team exchanged glances.

“Are we all thinking the same thing?”

“Director, could this be a ‘phone call from heaven’?”

” Yeon-woo…”

The staff from the production company exchanged glances, nodding their heads, and there was the still dazed writer, Choi Mi-hyu.

That is how Yeon-woo’s first audition in life came to an end.

Yeon-woo descended to the first floor, as it was his first time experiencing a casting audition, he wasn’t sure whether he did well or not.

Still, he had executed what he had prepared without any mistakes, so he didn’t have any regrets.

He took out his smartphone and called Jung Cheol-min, who was waiting for him outside the building.

[Oh, did it finish?]

“Yes, I’m at the place where you dropped me off.”

[Okay. I’ll be there soon. Since it’s dangerous to talk on the phone while driving, let’s chat after you get in the car.]

“Sure, I’ll wait.”

A little while later, Cheol-min’s car arrived, and he picked up Yeon-woo.

Cheol-min shifted the gear lever and turned the car while asking, “So, did you do well? Anything strange?”

“I didn’t make any mistakes, but something felt off.”

“Something felt off? What was it?”

“After the free acting, I also did the designated scene for Cha Woo-joo.”

Cheol-min raised an eyebrow, puzzled. “Wasn’t it Hwang Jaeil or Choi Hyeok?”

“Yes, should I have prepared Hwang Jaeil’s role for the free acting?”

Scratching his chin, Cheol-min replied, “No, in free acting, you just need to showcase your acting skills. In other auditions, you might imitate acting from different movies or dramas.”