Episode 69: First Broadcast of The Star Beyond the River

Unlike when cider filled the glasses during ‘Summer Promise’, Yeon-woo held up a glass brimming with beer.

“We will strive to create a drama that will be remembered in history. Cheers!”

“Cheers!”

Everyone laughed and raised their glasses in response to the enthusiastic declaration of the drama’s protagonist.

Jin Yu-han, who usually didn’t mingle well with others on set except for Yeon-woo, also attended the dinner after finishing the overseas location shoot and raised his glass, joining in the toast.

However, only one person, Park Kyung-wan, who was increasingly to disliked Ryu Yeon-woo due to his unfounded sense of victimization, pursed his lips.

As they ate and chatted, Saturday night approached, and on the large monitor tuned to KBC1 channel, alongside instructions regarding broadcast regulations, the logo appeared.

[The Star Beyond the River].

Finally, the first broadcast of the drama.

It began with scenes of veteran actors filmed in advance, discussing sword-fighting action scenes in a gymnasium before Yeon-woo and Yoo Han went into filming.

King Gwangjong poured alcohol into three cups made of gold placed before him.

“As an official working day and night for the country, I will pour for you today.”

“The king’s grace is boundless.”

However, Seo Pil did not touch the cup of alcohol poured by King Gwangjong, keeping his head bowed.

Perceiving this strangely, the King spoke up.

“Why do you not accept my gesture? Do you not like the alcohol I poured or the cup?”

Seo Pil bowed his head in response to his words.

“Your Majesty, how could that be? If a subject uses a gold cup, what cup will Your Majesty use in the future?”

Gwangjong laughed heartily at Seo Pil’s words.

“You do not consider the gold cup as a treasure, but I will henceforth consider your words as treasures.”

Taking the cup of alcohol poured by Seo Pil, King Gwangjong drank from it.

“Today is a joyous day, so I shall grant a name to your son. Let him be called Hee, so that he may grow up to become a shining star of Goryeo.”

Thus, Seo Yeom-yoon, Seo Pil’s eldest son, was renamed Seo Hee in his youth, bestowed with the name by King Gwangjong.

Watching TV, Seo Ji-eun, sitting next to Kim Jin-joo, the writer, asked, “Wow, is that story really true?”

It was a scene not written in the script received during the script reading, so Yeon-woo became curious and glanced at Kim Jin-joo.

“Oh, no, Ji-eun. There are separate records of King Gwangjong bestowing a gold cup and Seo Hee’s name being changed in his youth. I just combined the two to create the story.”

Oh.

As the surrounding actors nodded in agreement, acknowledging the writer’s talent.

Kim Jin-joo, the writer, blushed unexpectedly at the praise.

Han So-hyeon also tuned in to watch ‘The Star Beyond the River’, starring Ryu Yeon-woo, with her mother, sitting on the sofa at the right time.

As Ryu Yeon-woo’s face appeared with the logo, the drama began.