Episode 71: Lotus

“But team leader, why are Baek Sol and Baek No-ya both called Baek? My past life was also Baek Yoo-hyun.”

At Han Hae-woon’s words, Yeon-woo chuckled.

“Baek No-ya isn’t a ‘Baek’ family. It’s ‘Back’ (빽). He’s quite adept at escaping. Or maybe he always backs away, so they call him that.”

“Oh, is that so? It’s strange to have an English and Hanja combination like that.”

Han Hae-woon spoke again.

“Still, this time that ‘Back’ could be the kind of ‘Back’ that watches our backs. Baek No-ya wants to repay you, Team Leader, not through stories of the past like this but by providing information and resources to the fullest. He says he’s lived enough for himself anyway, and if Baek Sol still exists, he wants revenge.”

“Baek No-ya might be excellent at running away, but I heard he survived in this underworld for quite some time, so his foundation must be quite solid. It’ll be helpful, but don’t trust him too much.”

Han Hae-woon nodded, then asked again.

“But what about the favor you gave him, Team Leader? Baek No-ya seemed very grateful to you.”

“It’s nothing. I once saved his granddaughter.”

“…Excuse me? How is that nothing?”

In Yeon-woo’s past life, there was an incident where Baek No-ya, whom he occasionally used as an informant when handling domestic affairs, faced danger to his family due to an attack plan by the opposing organization. He pleaded to save his granddaughter and daughter-in-law and immigrated them to the United States. At that time, he only helped because he needed a good relationship with the informant, but to the one who received the help, it wouldn’t have been such a trivial favor.

“Oh, and about what you mentioned, Team Leader, regarding Byun Hak-gyu and Ahn Jun-ho. Plus Ten Entertainment.”

At Han Hae-woon’s words, Yeon-woo looked at him.

“Yeah, anything new?”

“For now, Ahn Jun-ho claims that although the investigation results haven’t been released yet, traces of a small amount of drugs consumed through alcohol have been detected. He insists that he received and drank the alcohol without knowing.”

Listening to Han Hae-woon’s words, Yeon-woo nodded. Although he didn’t seem like the type, there was a possibility he fell into a trap.

“What do you think the punishment will be?”

“He’s a first-time offender, and his opposing lawyer is quite experienced in this field, so the prosecution is considering a suspended indictment. Still, he’s an entertainer, so he can’t restore his damaged image.”

Yeon-woo nodded at Han Hae-woon’s words. He would have to meet Ahn Jun-ho separately later.

“And Byun Hak-gyu’s statement. Recently, after Plus Ten split into several subsidiaries, those subsidiaries are under suspicion. Many incidents in the entertainment industry these days are originating from those companies.”

Seeing Yeon-woo silently contemplating, Han Hae-woon added.

“And also about the drama you’re currently filming, ‘The Star Beyond the River’.”

“Hmm?”

Yeon-woo halted his thoughts at the unexpected word from Han Hae-woon’s mouth and looked at him.

“One of the subsidiary actors of Plus Ten is appearing in that production. Park Kyung-wan.”

“Park Kyung-wan? Huh.”