Episode 54: Ryu Yeon-woo and Han Hae-woon

On the same day in Jeju Island, the cherry blossoms that had been in full bloom were now falling, and the yellow rapeseed flowers were gradually withering. A sturdy man with a slow pace was climbing up one of Jeju’s hills.

“So, I’m alive, but it doesn’t feel like a past life…”

He continued to mumble to himself, trying to sort out his thoughts as he walked slowly. This man was none other than Han Hae-woon, the investigator who had collapsed on the day Ryu Yeon-woo won the Rookie of the Year award.

Hae-woon had come to Jeju Island to take some time off, attaching his accumulated leave to his sick days because the new memories that had surfaced that day were so perplexing.

“I died a year ago…”

It felt as though different people’s memories were entering his mind in fragmented pieces. What Hae-woon remembered was the memory of a National Intelligence Service agent named Baek Yoo-hyun. The most vivid memory that came to mind was the moment of his death. It was the day he had died from a cerebral hemorrhage but miraculously came back to life.

On that day, Yoo-hyun had been assisting his superior, ‘Team Leader Jeon Su-hwan’, in collecting information inside a safe house in the Middle East. The sound of gunfire and explosions echoed through his headphones.

“Team Leader! Team Leader!”

Despite calling repeatedly through the radio, there was no response from Jeon Su-hwan. Sensing that something was terribly wrong, Yoo-hyun hastily disposed of the materials he had been investigating and opened the safe house’s door to make his escape. That was the last thing he remembered.

Although it is not Hae-woon memory, but he assumed that Yoo-hyun must have been targeted by a waiting sniper. His vivid recollections made Hae-woon feel that Baek Yoo-hyun was another version of himself.

The other fragments of memories were too disjointed for him to make any clear guesses about the operations he had been involved in or the relationships he had with the people who appeared in his memories.

One clear connection he could determine was that the ‘Jeong Hye-min’ he had been investigating during his vacation was the wife of the deceased Baek Yoo-hyun.

“For now, the only definite link I can investigate is still ‘Jeon Su-hwan’.”

During his vacation, Hae-woon risked everything by accessing the National Intelligence Service’s systems using Baek Yoo-hyun’s access code. Luckily, the access code was still valid.

He tried to collect clues about Jeon Su-hwan and Baek Yoo-hyun, but even within the National Intelligence Service, there were almost no accessible documents classified as confidential. Desperately searching for any leads, he found a report requesting approval.

The content of the report revealed that the request had been denied for some reason and never made it to the higher-ups. It mentioned a public phone call in Daejeon, a request for investigation, and the results of CCTV analysis, an estimated man in his 70s, and his whereabouts were unknown. That was all that was available in the report. However, Hae-woon was sure of one thing.

“Team Leader Jeon Su-hwan, he’s been reborn in someone else’s body.”

Just like me.

Baek Yoo-hyun knows that there’s only one ‘A’ grade agent in the National Intelligence Service, and that’s Jeon Su-hwan. ‘A’ grade agents, often referred to in the media as ‘Black Agents’, are the highest-ranking Humint (Human Intelligence) officers, responsible for spies and covert operatives.