Twenty Four

"Hello," you grin when you pick up.

"How is my little jagiya?" He asks, sounding happy as well.

"Sleepy, but otherwise good."

"I'll only stay on for a little while. I know you have work tomorrow so I don't want to get in the way of that."

"Thank you. How was your day?"

"Demanding, but rewarding. We get tomorrow and half of the next day off. I'm going to sleep," he declares.

"Sounds nice. Make sure to sleep extra for me."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, but exams are coming up and that means I have to stay up late to grade them and their essays."

"Oh, the ones they wrote about themselves?"

"Yeah, the ones you would have failed," I smirk.

"Hey, you'd struggle to do one in Korean."

"No I wouldn't," you retort.

"Back then you would have."

"Yeah! Cause I didn't know any!"

"Ugh, fine," he snickers. "Anyway, have you look at any yet?"

"Of the essays? Only briefly."

"What were some of the topics?"

"Most of them are boring, about school or family or sports."

"Hmmm," Yoongi mumbles, sounding as if he's judging.

"What?" You ask, defensive.

"I wouldn't say they're boring."

"Why? It's all the same thing."

"But for students here, that's their life for the most part. School, family, and sports if they're involved. Or extracurriculars in general."

"When you talk about school it didn't seem that way though."

"What do you mean?"

"When you talk about growing up, it's music and basketball."

"I choose to focus on the better memories. High school was hard on me. Like a lot of kids here."

"I guess I'm just used to hearing about elaborate stories of parties, vacations, all that stuff."

"American's are self centered. You all love talking about yourselves and bragging. You like to live big and have the best of the best. American's are selfish."

"Miok was talking about that earlier..." You trail off. Do all the people I know here...do they all see me as that stereotype? Self centered, lazy, selfish, stupid? Am I that way?

Yoongi breaks your thoughts, "Y/N...Are you okay?"

"Huh?" You ask, yanked from your mind.

"You were quiet for a while...Are you okay?"

"Yeah...yeah I'm fine," you lie.

"You don't seem like it. Is something bothering you?"

You hesitate for a long time.

"Y/N?"

"Yoongi...do you see me as an American stereotype?"

"Not always. But sometimes yeah. American values and Korean values are very different, and it shows."

"How?"

"Well," he starts, figuring out his words wisely, "You're not as 'American' as you could be. I think living in Seoul, even if it has been a short while, has changed you a bit. But you still act like an American at times."

"How?"

"Your attitude. You act like a snarky American sometimes. You have sass, and it's not always the best. But as someone who is also very rough around the edges and snarky, I don't mind it. You're sweet though, and you respect those around you. I don't think most American's are like that."

"My parents taught me to be nice to everyone. It was hard growing up though."

"How?" He asks.

"Los Angles is a dog eat dog world."

"Hm. Well, Y/N, if you ask me, you're a much more Korean when it comes to your mannerisms, but your social attitude is definitely more American. I don't think that's bad though. In fact, it intrigues me. I think it's part of what attracts me to you. You're different than the girls I've met here."

"How?"

"Well, in Korea, dating is a touchy subject. It's basically forbidden during school, but then it's highly encouraged like right into college, and it's messes with people sometimes. Strict then all of a sudden, BOOM start dating. A lot of girls here, Korean girls, are shy about dating, more often than not. But you...you weren't afraid of that stuff. I was taken aback, I won't lie. Like when you said 'Oh, do I owe you now then?' That, that is what intrigued me. You were up front with the flirting. You didn't shy away from it. You were outgoing."

"Yoongi..." You say, quietly as if you have something on your mind.

"Hm? What is it jagiya?"

"You remember that?" You ask, referring to the flirting line.

"Of course," he smiles, "I'll never forget it."

You blush on your end. I'll never forget it. I'll never forget it. I'll never forget it. He won't ever forget that moment. He can quote it...he can quote it.

"Are you okay, Y/N? You're quiet again..."

"Yeah...yeah I'm okay...just..."

"Tired?"

"Yeah," you nod, obviously deep in thought still.

"You should sleep. I'll let you go, but don't stay up too late thinking."

"Okay...good night oppa."

"Good night jagiya. Sleep well, have good dreams."

"You too," you smile and hang up.

Did what I say that day really intrigue him as much as he said? Did I...did I really make that much of an impression on him? Do I still? I would think so...he's with me now...I hope I do...I really do.