S1E10: Part 1

S1E10: Part 1

The Black Hills

South Dakota

They had been able to find another truck after the Zunami – as Citizen Z was calling it – had passed. That vehicle had made it from Nebraska into South Dakota before it died on them, then Warren had them each grab a backpack and fill it with as many supplies from the truck as they could before they continued on foot. Bailey thought Murphy looked a bit ridiculous, still having that pink backpack with the fake spikes on it that he'd brought back full of food when they were hiding in the morgue. He also complained the whole way even though his pack was the smallest out of all of them. Cassandra's navy blue pack was easily twice the size, as were 10K and Warren's camouflage backpacks. Doc had his medicine bag slung across his chest and Bailey had her usual messenger bag only now with the addition of an army green rucksack on her shoulders. She'd readjusted her hair too since it was getting tugged from under the straps of the bags and had once again put it into a high ponytail with only her bangs loose which she had to keep tucking behind her ear to keep them out of the way.

"Is this entire state uphill?" Murphy complained when he had enough breath to, "Where are we anyway?"

"According to this map, we're in the Black Hills of South Dakota." Warren said as she carried on in the lead.

"I miss the truck." Cassandra said as they hiked.

"At least we're out of that damn horde." Warren replied not taking her eyes from the map in her hands.

"There's nothing to kill out here." 10K whined from his place near Bailey in the back of the group.

"That's fine by me." Warren chuckled.

"Uuuugh." 10K moaned in irritation throwing his head back as he turned in a circle looking for anything to shoot at.

"We need to find a place to make camp soon. My dogs is getting tired." Doc spoke up from behind his circular sunglasses.

"Well, there's supposed to be a little town nearby called Edgemont." Warren replied trying to give them something to look forward to. "I'll take a compass reading at this next ridge up here."

"Can't we just take a break?" Doc asked.

"Yeah Warren, not all of us are ex-military." Bailey said in agreement.

"Alright, a quick one." Warren finally allowed.

"Oh my God." Cassandra said, "Look."

"Now who in the hell did that?" Warren asked but Bailey was too far back in the group to see what they were talking about.

"Some daredevil with a sick sense of humor." Doc said sounding pissed off.

"Is that Mount Rushmore?" 10K asked as he and Bailey came around the trees to take in the view. It was definitely Mount Rushmore only now all four of the busts had red paint that looked like blood dripping from their mouths. Abe Lincoln had a wound across his forehead and there was the letter Z under George Washington that was circled with an X over it.

"This is why we can't have nice things." Murphy said sarcastically.

"Probably the same jackass that tagged the Liberty Bell." Doc said shaking his head.

"I think it's awesome." 10K said as the corner of his mouth rose in a smirk as Doc hit him lightly in the shoulder making Warren, Cassandra and Bailey chuckle.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Bailey shrugged.

"Sounds like something a writer would say." Cassandra said quietly so no one but Bailey would hear her. Bailey looked at her out of the corner of her eye and saw her friend smile back and couldn't fight the smile that fought its way to her face too.