Chapter 12

The two Vampires lunged at her, she closed her eyes in anticipation but nothing came, instead she heard them growl in pain. Her eyes fluttered open to see them lying on the ground writhing in pain.

"Sorry for the delay." She heard the voice of the man who saved her, seeing him relief flooded over her. She was about to run to him but soon other Vampires appeared.

"Stay there, don't move from your place," Reagan instructed her as he battled them.

She heard a rustle behind her and ducked just in time, the Vampire came at her once again, she screamed as she tried to dodge him, "It's useless," he muttered before grabbing her by her hair.

Reagan grabbed his hand, he then smirked as he gestured at the other Vampires lying on the ground, "Don't you think this is useless?"

He then dug his claws on his arm, the impact made him lose hold on Alexa, Reagan then snapped his hands in two and threw him on the ground. The Vampire got up and ran away from there.

He was about to chase him but he stopped to look at Alexa. She ran to him and hugged him, he stood still, stunned.

Snapping out he slowly wrapped her arms around her, returning the hug, he rubbed her back, "You're okay?" He asked.

When she didn't respond, he cupped her face and peered into her eyes, slipping away she turned her back to him.

He heaved a sigh.

"Let's go back, it's not safe here." He said, his eyes scanning for any threats.

When he turned back, he saw her squatting on the ground, "hey? are you okay? are you hurt somewhere?" He approached her in a panic, that's when he noticed she had been crying.

He let her cry for a while as he sat there leaning his back against hers.

"I'm sorry," She muttered in between her cry.

"I'm just... I didn't know what to do... My friends, they turned out to be something else... my mom... my dad... me... everything was so messed up...I didn't understand what to trust... whom to trust... everyone had been going on as your highness this...that... but I don't want this... I never... I just wanted a normal life..."

Reagan slowly turned to her and rubbed her back as she finally let her emotions out.

"I don't have it... the powers to protect everyone... I can't even protect myself... I even thought of ending my life-"

He immediately turned her around to face him, stopping her in the middle.

"Why do you say that?" His brows furrowed in a thin line, his eyes held her captive, she noticed the pain reflected in his eyes.

"But it's all because of me, isn't it? I'm just trouble for everyone, you guys, they're after you because you hid me, my dad, he was a Vampire King but we don't even know he's alive or not just because I was born. My mom, who had to stay away from her family, remained hidden from everyone because I was born. All the murders that followed because a Vampire and Werewolf fell in love, all of them were slaughtered because they feared I'll be born. So, only if I died-"

He pressed his finger against her lips, "shh," he shook his head, He then cupped her face, and wiped away her tears with his thumb.

"Shh... I don't know why you think that way..." He started, "but let me tell you one thing, nothing would've changed, everything would've been the same, even if it wasn't you. Our clans had been enemies for so long, they don't need you as a reason to slaughter one another. They'll do it without any reason, it's just unfortunate that they're using you as the reason, anyone could've been in your position, it's just that it's you, so stop blaming yourself. You've been born with this destiny, there's nothing you can do about it, no one has ever cheated nor anyone can ever cheat their destiny, it's only going to get tough if you keep denying it but it's a lot easier when you accept it, trust me."

"But I'm no Queen, I don't want these responsibilities, it's too much of a burden. I'm scared, I don't even know the beginning, I'm just circling around."

"No one wants to take up tough things, everyone's scared, it's okay to be scared. Whenever you feel scared you can come to me I'll protect you, whenever you feel confused, come to me I'll clear it for you, whenever you don't understand anything, come to me, I'll teach you." He smiled at her.

"But you're a bad teacher." She pouted sulkily.

"Eh?"

"No one says run 50 laps on their first try." She complained.

"You're still grudging on that?" He laughed.

"That's no laughing matter, Leader doesn't do that and you're a leader of one entire clan that makes you a bad leader."

"I apologize. I know I was rushing things. I'm sorry." He caressed her cheek.

"Say, were you scared too? Did you hate it too? Being an Alpha King?" she asked.

"Of course. I abhorred it, I used to complain too, why me? Why should I? But I found something I want to protect, soon things added up, I needed strength and power to protect them so I trained hard, spent sleepless nights, ignored my pain, counted my every wound, every scar as trophies as a sign I was getting near, I just trained and trained and grew stronger until I was strong enough to protect them so that no one can take them away from me." He answered. "You too have something to protect, don't you? Conner, Murphy, and I know you love others too you're just miffed because they lied to you and your Mom, your Dad, they too are waiting for you to save them."

"And if anything scares you, you just need to look into the eyes of fear, without hesitation, challenge it and conquer it, and you also have me, if things get harder you can always lean on me, I'm here to support you. Hmm?" He smiled at her.

"Hmm," She gently nodded.

He stood up dusting his pants, "Now, let's get going?" He offered his hand.

She took his hands and pulled him down, she cupped his face and peered into his eyes. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Looking into the eyes of fear." She answered.

"You fear me?" He frowned.

"The ones I fear, you drove them away and you're the one who's standing between me and them, right?" She asked.

He nodded.

"Then shouldn't I fear you the most? What if you suddenly decide to step away? I'll be in big trouble then. So I'm going to look into your eyes, challenge you, and conquer you."

His eyes widened at her words while she smiled innocently not realizing the heaviness of the words she spoke.

A small smile played on his lips as he gazed at her affectionately, "Sure, I'll let you do that."

She smiled back at him, as she released him.

"Now," he started getting up, "shall we go? It's not safe to stay here for long," He offered his hand.

She nodded placing her hand on his.