ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁷

The three kings of the Volturi had become much more protective after the trial. Caius and Aro in particular had not left my side the entire day. I was not used to having such little personal space. The kings' presence was not overwhelming, simply unusual.

I had not seen any of the guards. I suspected that they had either been ordered to back off or had simply stayed away so that the kings and I could bond. I had just met them and would need to get closer to them before I could truly consider becoming a vampire.

The thoughts of my eventual turning had gone through my mind ever since Edward slipped up in front of me. The Cullens had assured me that it would never come to that, said that I could live as a human if I wanted. Actually, it was more like Alice and Edward said that I could live as a human if I pleased. Carlisle would just divert the conversation and Esme would offer me food.

Edward and Alice knew that they would be unable to stop what was meant to be. I would become a vampire at some point. While my transformation was not being rushed like Isabella's, it was still clearly being talked about. Unlike Isabella, I had no problem with drinking human blood. In fact, I had often licked my own wounds and liked the taste of my own blood. Almost like I was made to become a blood drinking vampire.

The only Cullens that had outright said that they would support me no matter what were Rosalie and Carlisle. I knew about how Rosalie was turned, how she never chose immortality. Unlike Isabella, Rosalie seemed to think that me turning was a good thing for me. She had said she would rather have me in the family than Isabella.

When Edward had exposed their species to me, Rosalie and I had gotten really close. We both loved fashion and jewelry, often comparing our own pieces. I had made quite a lot of money before Forks, during my years as a babysitter and retail worker in my foster homes. Thankfully, all of my former foster parents allowed me to keep the money that I would make. Rosalie cared about me like the sister she never had. We may have looked quite like opposites, me having dark hair and much softer features, but we both found ourselves having a bond like no other.

I did not know if I could find the strength to return to the Cullen household, no matter how welcoming Esme, Carlisle, and Rose would be. Edward and Isabella would shun me for all time over something that I could not control. They expected me to pick them over my own happiness. What I had wanted in life was to be loved, the kings could give me that and more. I would become an enforcer of the law, just as I always wanted. They were my perfect fit. Yes, I would break human laws in order to live, but life is a game of give and take.

One of my true beliefs, one that Carlisle had agreed with me on, is that people are not who their family are. People are not their skin or their god, or who they claim their lover. Isabella is not Edward, I would not judge them for what the other does. Yes, they do tend to do the same things, but I do not judge them based on each other. They judge me based on who my mates are. I may not like what Alice had done, what she had allowed, but I would never hold something that she did against Jasper, who was and is my friend.

"What are you doing, cara mia?" Caius asks from the bed. I had taken my time in exploring the castle with my mates, who had shown me around, keeping me protected at all times. When day had turned to nightfall, Caius had shown me back to his quarters.

"Just thinking about how stupid Isabella and Edward are," I retort, coming back near the bed. Before, I had been messing around with a trinket that laid nicely on his desk. Caius laughed and pulled me on the bed.

"Anyone who says such cruel things to my mate must be a moron," Caius says proudly, placing a kiss to the top of my head. I giggle and turn over, finally facing my handsome mate.

"Those who speak so cruelly about my mate must be idiots. I mean, was that the only time Isabella and Edward met with you three? Besides when Edward was trying to kill himself obviously," I ask. Caius nods his head. "How can he get a read of who you are based on your thoughts at one meeting? That just makes no sense to me. He claims to be such a good vampire, but in the end that kind of thing just makes him a shitty person. I mean, what good person doesn't give someone a chance to show love, to care about someone? It's not like it was his decision whether or not I accepted the bond. So controlling of him."