ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁴⁰

ᴡᴇʟʟ ʏᴀ'ʟʟ, ᴡᴇ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ɪᴛ ᴛʜɪꜱ ꜰᴀʀ. ᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛ ɴɪɴᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀꜱ ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴀɴ ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ. ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ʙᴏᴏᴋ.

ꜱᴍᴜᴛ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ. ʏᴇᴀʜ, ɪ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ. ʀᴇᴠ'ꜱ ᴄᴏᴠᴇɴ, ᴡʀɪᴛᴇʀꜱ ʀᴏᴏᴍ- ʏ'ᴀʟʟ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ.

ᴀʟʟ ᴄᴏɴꜱᴇɴꜱᴜᴀʟ, ᴀʟʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇʟʏ, ᴀʟʟ ꜱᴇxʏ. ᴜɴʟᴇᴀꜱʜᴇᴅ.

A life, a love, a dream, it meant nothing in the face of the law. Unfortunately I was one of the people who had to dish out the punishments. As much as I hated it, it had to be done. If I didn't do it with my mates, who would? We would be lawless. Humans would not be able to survive more rulers like the Romanians, who really didn't rule at all, just stood up, called themselves kings, and allowed the vampires to kill whoever they pleased.

"When should we announce your son to the world? Edward and Bella will no doubt reveal the existence and nature of hybrid children," my father asked me. "I would not wish to have them be the first ones to make the impression of my grandson. I mean, Edward and Bella cannot be that great of parents and I would not want people to get the wrong impression of what hybrids are and how they act. Helios is a well behaved child."

"Wild, but surprisingly well behaved. I don't think I've heard him tell us no once," I mused. "You know what would make them look even worse? Letting them make a fool of themselves with the child and then having us swoop in to give them advice. I mean, they have no clue how to raise a kid. From what Bella told me, she didn't ever want to have kids with anyone, let alone a vampire like Edward."

"Imagine all of us looking like we were going to come attack only to whip out a hybrid child of our own," Carlisle laughs at the thought. "It would make them look like idiots."

"Don't they already look like idiots?"

"Most definitely."

__________________________________________________

Out of all the time that I spent with my mates, the time that we spent in the nest was most memorable. Of course, that was to be expected, as we did almost everything in there, but the place had its own way of calming us down when we needed a break from the world, from the law, and from our other covenmates. A space of peace.

Aro and Caius had decided that they would watch our son outside, making sure that he didn't get himself into any mischief while teaching him how to swim. I would have been there, but I was already stressed and wanted to give my mates a chance to spend time with him away from the nest and without my supervision.

Stress was something that came easily for me.

Boredom came even easier, often taking over my life while away from work.

"Marcus," I whined at my mate. He was sitting at the desk, doing some paperwork that he had been putting off like usual. Before I came he had been slacking in his job, too depressed to do any of his actual job, usually just coming back to his room and staring at the wall. Now, he had to pick up his kingly duties again, much more motivated to do so this time.

"Anna," He whined right back, "What is wrong?"

"I'm bored," I say, getting up from the bed. I sped over to where he was sitting at the desk and stood over him, looking down at his paperwork. Just a bunch of vampire registry. Boring. Why does life have to be boring now?