ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ²⁷

ᴏᴋ ꜱᴏ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱɴ'ᴛ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ'ꜱ ꜰᴀᴠᴏʀɪᴛᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴘʟᴀɴ.

 ³ ᴜᴘᴅᴀᴛᴇꜱ ɪɴ ¹ ᴅᴀʏ. ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴏɴ ᴀ ʀᴏʟʟ.

Rushing my body to the infirmary, I was hit with the dangerous smell of human blood. Holding my breath, I come into the room, watching as a woman screams in agony on a hospital bed. Scrambling to her side, I make sure to not do anything that would harm her.

What was quite alarming about her presence was not just her blood, but her very pregnant belly. What the hell is this? Why did they have a pregnant woman in a damn house full of immortal children? Are they fucking breeding her for children or something?

Her shrieks set me off as I had to hold myself against the wall, my newborn instincts fighting with my own morality. I couldn't feed off of a pregnant woman, who was shrieking bloody murder inside of the infirmary.

"Please, please," she pleaded, "I didn't want this to happen." Taking in one breath, I stay close to the wall, not wanting to do anything to hurt her or her future child. "I'm not-please help my baby. If not me-help my baby."

I looked to her belly, where a hand started to protrude. It was the hand of a fucking child that looked ready to get its ass out of home base. I nodded my head, but had to start holding my breath once more.

She was about to give birth and I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing. I wasn't Carlisle, I didn't have the kind of control needed to help a woman perform childbirth. I was a newborn vampire with decent control. My control was still in development, I couldn't even turn someone if my own life depended on it.

"You're one of them, I know-" she yelps, "He was one of them as well. I just-I didn't know that this was going to happen to me."

Maeve, please. Please fucking tell me what the hell is going on here. Or at least tell me how the hell I am going to get through this. I don't understand. I don't get it. Something is wrong with her. She smells human, but something is just so wrong. Maeve didn't answer me, staying quiet inside of my mind. Who is "he"? Please.

Before Maeve could even get the chance to respond the woman starts to scream again. This time, however, my mate rushes inside of the room.

Marcus stared at the woman who was about to give birth, eyes black. His movements were more controlled than mine, walking up to the woman with ease and asking her a simple question, "Who are you?"

"Lana," she answers quickly, "Please, the baby is-coming. It's going to kill me. That's okay, just please, save him. Save my baby, please."

"What do you mean you're going to die? Childbirth does not usually kill women. Not anymore," Marcus' face turns frantic as the woman starts to cry and laugh at the same time, clutching one of the sides of the bed, crying out as she is forced to push. I growl as I see blood pool around her. She was going to bleed out.

"The father," she whispers, "He was one of them. One of the vampires."

Marcus steps back before shaking his head. Vampires cannot procreate. Vampires can't have kids. They aren't-They can't. We're dead. We are all dead. How? How? My internal conflict gets stopped by Marcus, who growls as he has to hit the wall beside me, forcing himself away from the bleeding woman. Even if he did have control, this was proving to be too much for him, his eyes turned black. You have to help her, Anna. Marcus will not be able to do it, but I know that you can. You wouldn't hurt her in her dying moments. She will die, but she trusts you two. She trusts you two with the one thing she holds dear.