ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ³⁴

ꜱᴏ ᴛʜɪꜱ ꜱʜɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ-

Carlisle's POV

Things had gotten almost unbearable in the house. Every little thing set me off in ways that they never did before our divide. The family that I had once called my own felt more like enemies than friends. The offhand comments would not have phased me even two years ago, but now that I loved the person that they were made towards I could not stand it.

Anna is my daughter, whether or not she calls me father does not matter. She will always be my daughter and I love her dearly as I would any of my covenmates. I would gladly give my life for her if push came to shove.

"Leave me alone, Edward," Emmett tells his brother, who shook his head at him. The much taller man rolls his eyes at him, about to leave the living room to go join Rosalie in their room. She had been cooped up in there with Jasper for the last hour and a half after he had yet another panic attack.

My children were hurting and I felt like I was failing.

"You can't possibly be thinking that, Emmett. I am your brother and Bella will be my wife. Why do you think that I don't care about you when I want what is best for this family?" Edward, that is my job as the coven leader. I want what is best and I chose what is best. You know perfectly well why Emmett is mad at you.

My son turns to me, having heard my thoughts. "Not you as well, Carlisle. Why is it so hard to see that Anna is doing this all to us? First she gets with the Volturi, who are evil. Second, she kills a bunch of criminals and comes to see us with some voice in her head that Alice cannot make out. Third, she tries to kill me just because I tried to protect Bella from her mate. Fourth, she gets all of us in a riot and forces us against each other."

"How could you?" I choke out, my own eyes flooding with tears that could never be shed. Never had someone spoken with such hate and malice in their hearts. I don't even think that the Romanians had such hatred, or Jane when she was torturing people. Not even Caius hated people as much as my own son did.

"How could I not, father?" My son tries to pull the father card on me. Emmett turns to me, his mouth agape as tears of his own fill his golden eyes.

I give a broken smile as Rose and Jasper finally come down from Rose's bedroom. I give one last look at my broken down son as he sits down on a chair. I could tell that he had been dry crying as vampires do. My older son had been crying nonstop for the last few days up in Emmett and Rose's room, being held by them as he released all of the pent up pain he had been holding for god knows how long/

"She's dangerous, father. She's cruel. She breaks everything that she touches." Each word broke me down further. I felt like my own son had torn me apart and was about to light me on fire. Perhaps he already did. It hurt so much. Never in my immortal life did I feel pain like the pain I felt when he attacked my daughter.

This was not my son. This couldn't be my son. I couldn't allow someone like this to be my son.

I did not turn someone just for them to tear me apart like this.

"After all of this time you all don't understand. After all that she has done. She is a murderer. She kills for fun. Annalise Volturi is a monster like no other," more jarring words ripped through the fabric of my very being.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Jasper silently crying, being shielded by Rose, who had gone over to comfort him once again. You...you....You do this for what? To hurt me? To get some point across? You tear apart my heart and Jasper's own sanity and you want us to believe that my daughter is a monster? Edward...