Chapter 38

Author's note: Thank you to all the readers who took the time to vote and comment on the last chapter! It means so so much to me❤❤ Hope this chapter lives up to your expectations! I know a lot of you had a several questions after the last chapter. Hopefully this chapter answers the questions and I am sorry that my writing caused the confusion. Hopefully, you won't abandon this story and give it a few more chapters. Thank you again!❤

The chapter is unedited

Soumya let out a quiet frustrated huff when she still couldn't fall asleep. It was almost 5:30 and she had been trying to fall asleep since 2. She pushed the weight of Dhara's arm and leg away from her. Maybe that's why she couldn't sleep. Her sister seemed to lose all sense of personal space when she slept.

Turning to her left Soumya hoped she would be able to sleep for a couple of hours. But the sounds of Dhara and Sweetie's snoring disturbed that idea as well. Opening her eyes, she simply stared at the photo of her parents. With another quiet frustrated huff, she pushed off Dhara's arm and leg off her once again. She sat up and rested the back of her head against the wall. Wrapping her arms around her legs, she rested her chin on her knees as she replayed the events of the evening.

Soumya thought about how the scene that had transpired between Rudra and her was like superficial romance novels she read and occasionally wrote. Although, in those stories, she was sure that the male lead was going to kiss the female lead and they would live happily ever after. But with her own life, she had so many questions and no answers. Was Rudra really trying to kiss her? But why? Was it a spur of the moment action or was he really developing feelings for her like she was? What if he was just wiping the sauce off her face and she completely misjudged the situation because it was so dark? And it wasn't like she had any real-life experience of how a kiss was actually initiated. What would Rudra be thinking about her panicked reaction? Should she bring it up and clear the air? Or just ignore the event and go on about for another couple of weeks till Rudra went back home? Their worlds were already so different and there was no way they would be able to survive a long-distance relationship. That's only if he had feelings for her. What about her family? What would their reaction be to this new development? Her Bua would cause havoc. And his family? Would they accept this relationship? Probably not. While she may have made peace with her inability to conceive, but it wasn't fair to rob Rudra and his family of the dream of a child if they really wanted one.

"Dhara," Soumya whispered after another 45 minutes of contemplating every scenario in her head.

She felt guilty about waking Dhara up from such a sound sleep. But, she needed to talk to Dhara before her head burst with all the theories she was currently forming in her head most of which ended with her heart being broken. Maybe Dhara was right. She was pessimistic when it came to her love life.

"Dhara," she called out again and shook her sister by her shoulders. "Listen naa..."

Dhara just grumbled in her sleep and made a sound of protest as she turned over to sleep on her stomach.

Soumya reached over and turned on the night lamp before shaking Dhara's shoulders again. "Dhara, please. Just two minutes. Then you can go to sleep again."

Dhara still didn't open her eyes, but replied with a muffled, "What?"

"How do you know if a guy was trying to kiss you?" she asked quietly.

That seemed to have got her sister's attention. She raised only her head from the pillow and opened her eyes slightly. "What?"

Soumya cleared her throat trying to keep her tone and facial expressions nonchalant. She really should have thought about this a little more before asking Dhara. "I... like..." she stammered and Dhara's face contorted into a confused frown. "I am participating in a literary contest and I wanted to write the ending to my story. And I was wondering what sort of ending I should go with."