Chapter 9

Hariprakash's eyes fell on his daughter and son-in-law, who had just walked in

Hariprakash's eyes fell on his daughter and son-in-law, who had just walked in. After not bothering to answer their phones all night yesterday or this morning to at least have the decency to apologize, they had some nerve standing there with such wide and chirpy smiles.

"Papaji," Raja extended his arms in front of him as he entered the house before bending down to touch his father-in-law's feet. "It has been such a long time since we last met. When was that?"

"When you asked me if I could give you a loan so you could invest in your friend's pyramid scheme and I disagreed, and you stormed out of my house after using some very colourful language. Do you not remember?"

Deepti looked appalled at her father while Raja chuckled nervously. "I am so sorry about my behaviour that night." He said, shaking his head. "Ask Deepti," he turned to his wife, who appeared just as guilty looking. "I have wanted to come here and apologize, but I couldn't muster the courage. Then I thought if I did something that would make you proud, then you would be able to forgive me much more easily."

"Oh, really? What elaborate scheme have you come up with this time to try and convince me to invest in another one of your business ventures?" Hariprakash scoffed.

From his peripheral vision, Hariprakash noticed Chandni standing up from the table.

"You know, Papaji." Deepti snapped. "You think so little of my husband. It is really upsetting. Raja works so hard so your relationship can work, but you just don't want to try at all even after all these years."

Raja stopped Deepti with a slight shake of his head. "Deepti, how many times have I told you that I won't stop trying till Papaji accepts me as his son, not his son-in-law? Anyways, forget all this. We heard you have guests over."

"Yes, we do!" Chandni said enthusiastically. "Deepti, you remember your Purshottam Chachaji and Tanuja Chachiji."

"Of course!" Deepti nodded and touched the elders' feet. "I would always tell Raja that we should go to your house whenever we visited Delhi. No, Raja?"

"She talks about you all the time," Raja said as he followed Deepti's suit and touched their feet.

"Really?" Purshottam smiled fondly. "What does she say about us?"

Raja and Deepti looked at each other awkwardly and then laughed. "A lot, Chachaji."

"Ji," Chandni touched Haripraksh's shoulder as she spoke, "Why don't you go and call Soumya?"

Haripraksh gave a firm glance to Chandni, but she too didn't back down till he finally left the room. Although he was quite glad to get out of the room because he knew if he stayed there any longer with his good for nothing son-in-law, he was bound to say something nasty, which would not only be embarrassing for him and his family but also the Rawat family. He needed to hide in Soumya's room for a while!

~~~○●○♡○●○~~~

Raja and Deepti finished getting introduced to the grandsons of the family as well before they took a seat on the chairs that had been vacated by Soumya and Hariprakash.