17 | Lunchtime Madness

ARI, FELIX, AND MAX approach the Great Hall, also known as the cafeteria. They haven't even gotten to the exact hall but they could already hear the noise coming from inside.

     "We should hurry before they arrive," Ari says, once again pulling Max with him while his arms are still around his shoulders. Max may think of it as a normal gesture, but Ari is actually doing it so that no one would bother Max, especially when the entire student body is in the Great Hall, which is the perfect place to humiliate someone.

     The Great Hall is large enough to accommodate all the students of the House of Kings. The hall is surrounded by long tables, and each table is assigned to specific groups of students, even though no one assigned them to it. There are also two opposite balconies, one at the entrance, and one at the end of the hall. For visualization, imagine a basketball court. But instead of hoops, place balconies instead.

     "Those are brotherhood flags," Max instantly notices when the three arrive at the noisy cafeteria. Students who spotted them instantly whisper at each other, probably because they finally get to see Max in the flesh, and he even has a serf's armband on.

     Max stares at the banners that are hanging on the balconies. Four were on the other balcony, while the king and the prince's banners are found on the other.

     "I'm guessing these four are friends while the kings and the princes are like the popular kids that you can't sit with at lunch," Max says while his eyes continue to stare at the banners with awe.

     "Okay, here's the thing. The Kings (Busters) and the Princes (PHD) are old friends. They're the only brotherhood here where all the members are seniors, except for Dangerous Five who consists of third-year students, which is a subunit of PHD. But of course, that's another story," Ari explains.

     "Then there's the Dukes (BND) and the Marquis (Crazy 8). They're the classy ones and are the most respected brotherhoods in all the houses. They aren't exactly friends, but they're on good terms with each other," Felix explains next.

     The three then arrive at an empty table, which is the seat where Ari usually takes. And since he's a gaffer, no one dares to take it.

     "And then there's the Counts (Cigarettes) and the Barons (Jokers), right? After the stunt they did during the assembly, it's safe to say they're close," Max says as soon as Ari lets go of him.

     The three take their seat as the students around them continue with their business; Max sits beside Felix while Ari sat in front of them.

     "Jokers and Cigarettes don't have any beef with each other, but that doesn't mean they're friends either. Most of the time their underlings fight with each other, and that's when trouble arrives," Ari answers.

     While the three continue talking, waiters arrive with pushcarts that are filled with dishes that you can only find in five-star restaurants. They hand the food out to each table, while some try to avoid the students who are running around the hall.

     "This is seriously an interesting school. Who would have thought things like brotherhoods would be possible. And look at the students. Imagine the power a single rule could do to a person's class," Max points out as a waiter politely places their food on the table.

     "Well, can you blame them? The rules of the houses free us from the standards that society forces upon us. It's only expected that they'd act this way because of that," Ari explains, and both Felix and Max couldn't agree more.

     The three finally start eating amidst the noises that the surrounding students were making. But as the three try to find their inner peace, the noise slowly starts dying down, and a faint melody could be heard in the background. Eventually, the entire cafeteria becomes silent.