105 | Silenced Justice

WARNING:

Just a heads up. There is a discussion here that tackles sensitive topics. I just wanted you guys to know so you can anticipate it. Thank you and happy reading.

THE KITCHEN WAS ENGULFED with noise coming from people frying meat and fish and chopping vegetables. The head chef was shouting something too, but despite all that, Max felt like he and Cj were the only people there after what he heard from him.

     "The Mills...they killed her."

     Max almost peeled his hands because of shock. Thankfully he was able to stop himself, and thankfully all the chefs were too busy to even listen to what they were talking about. They might end up burning something if they heard it too.

     "What do you mean—"

     "Actually it's not literal. No one pulled a trigger, no one assassinated her or whatnot, but what happened to her was far crueler than that," Cj says before putting the peeled potato in another sack.

     "I started high school late because I had to study International Economics and Trade in Beijing, so I was already seventeen when I enrolled in J.S High. During my second year, my family had a party that I couldn't attend because I was trying to make a brotherhood at that time and was extremely busy," Cj says, wiping his hand on his apron before taking another potato.

     "Since I wasn't there, Alessandra had to help with the party. All of the guests were well-known partners of our company. They were very powerful people..."

     Cj pauses and takes a deep breath. When max saw that he was doubting himself on whether or not he should continue, Max grabs his hand and says, "You don't have to continue if you don't want to. There's no need for you to force yourself."

     "I'm not forcing myself, don't worry. It's not really an untold secret. All my members know about it too," Cj says before pulling his hand away from Max. "I tell this story to people I find worthy."

     "Worthy or trustworthy? The two things are very different you know," Max tells him, making Cj chuckle.

     "Oh, I know. I don't trust you if that's what you're wondering. The people I trust the most are my brotherhood and nothing more. They were the ones who were with me when things fell apart. I can say that I am alive now because of them. Krist and the others didn't do shit for me," Cj reveals, honestly surprising Max.

     "I thought every one of you was close? That's what Krist and Hans told me before," Max says, but Cj shakes his head before taking another potato.

     "That's a very different story, but I'm not going to reveal everything to you, you sly little fox," Cj says, and Max doesn't try to force him about it anymore since they were talking about a different thing anyway.

     "Do you even want me to finish the story or not?" Cj stubbornly asks, immediately making Max nod his head so he could attentively listen to the count again.

     "This parts a bit heavy so prepare yourself," Cj warns him, making Max nod his head again, thinking that he'll be prepared for what Cj is about to say, considering how he has been through a lot himself.

     While the two continued with their task of peeling potatoes, Cj takes a deep breath, looks away from Max, and finally continues, "During the party, Alessandra was tasked to assist the guests. This particularly old chairman...he got interested in her. He always called for her, and when everyone was enjoying the party, he forcefully took her to a room and—"