58 | The Mask

"MY DEAR FRIENDS, WELCOME to The Mask. A pub exclusively built for the students of the five brotherhood houses," Ervin reveals surprising Max and the others.

     As soon as they got inside, everyone suddenly becomes quiet, making it even more awkward for them. But after a second, someone at the back suddenly cheers and shouts, "It's Max! Congratulations on winning Mr. Brain & Brawn yesterday man!"

     "You were amazing!" Another unfamiliar man shouts.

     Max, who doesn't really know how to react, was suddenly pulled by Ervin so he wouldn't have to stand there like an idiot anymore.

     "Come on, let's look for a table," Ervin says, draping his arm around Max's shoulder and pulling him away from the staring crowd; Felix and Ari walking behind them.

     Max notices that the bartenders and waiters were all wearing masks. And while they walk their way to an empty table, more unfamiliar faces from other houses congratulated him. Someone from the House of Rooks even approached him and thanked him for being kind to their representative, Lennox Connery. It was a strange yet fulfilling experience for Max.

     "How come I haven't heard of this place before?" Ari asks as they finally arrive at their table.

    The four take a seat, and Ervin answers Ari's question. "First and second-year students usually don't know about this place, but I heard about it from my senior Jacks."

     "No wonder. You're not cool enough for this place Ari," Felix comments, making the two bicker with each other again.

     "Who built this thing anyway?" Max then asks while the other two continue fighting with each other.

     "Heard the owner was an alumnus at J.S High and then he became friends with other students from the other four houses, so they made this. But no one really knows the real story," Ervin reveals.

     As they were talking, a waiter wearing a mask arrives with the menu. Felix and Ari finally stop fighting, and the four ordered a bucket of beer and some side dishes.

     "The pub is called The Mask because even though we're outside our Houses, we can still talk about school matters here. This is the only place where we can still act like how we act in J.S High and not be called out by it," Ervin then adds.

     "Oh good, you can act cute and innocent here Felix," Ari continues to tease Felix so he could take his revenge on what Felix said to him earlier. But before Felix could even say something back, Max glares at the two, automatically making them stop.

     "Can't we get in trouble here? Wouldn't the Elites suddenly just barge in here and suspend us?" Max asks, and like karma came crashing down on him, two members of the Elites suddenly enter the pub, leaving Max's eyes wide from shock.

     "You got to be shitting me," Max says as he stares at president Ian Rothman and vice president Gavriil Alexeev. Max thought that they were going to do something crazy, but to their surprise, the other students who were there started greeting them like they were regular customers.

    "Oh, Max! You guys are here too?!" Ian suddenly greets when they spot him.

     "Wait, why are they walking towards us?" Ari asks while looking at Gavriil with an angry expression.

     The two Elite members approach Max's group. And when they got closer, Max noticed that they were actually with another man with who Max was also not familiar. But obviously, Ari and his other friends knew who he was because they instantly stood up to show their respect.