66 | The Promise

"WE STILL HAVEN'T FOUND him, sir. Wherever he might be, it seems like he is also being guarded by high security," A man says on the other end of the line.

     Marcus - who already has dark circles around his eyes - grips on the phone that he's holding against his ear and angrily shouts, "How hard is it to look for a fucking person?! Do I not pay you enough?!"

     The man on the other line falls silent. Marcus brushes his hair back with his fingers and looks out the window of his bedroom to cool his head down. The sun was already rising, which only means that Marcus has once again been awake for another full day.

     "Find him," Marcus says with a low voice before ending the call and slamming the phone on top of the table.

     Max has been missing for two weeks, and all this time, he and Étienne were the only ones in their family who had the decency to look for him. His father, who he has yet to speak to after his marriage announcement, showed no sign of remorse or worry, which angered Marcus even more. In fact, Denzel wasn't even here at their mansion. He was with his mother Edith at their supposed summerhouse, which now acts as their little lover's getaway.

     With the entire situation that's happening in their family, Marcus was stuck in the middle. He was stuck between choosing to support both of his parents and choosing to support his brother. But even with such a difficult choice, Marcus always had an answer to it. Making a decision on who he should choose was never a difficult choice.

     Like what others have already speculated, Marcus was ready to hand everything to Max as soon as he heard of the marriage announcement. And even though Denzel has not talked to him about it yet, it was already obvious that being the legal eldest would make him the rightful heir to the company, but Marcus has no intention of being one.

     Marcus was not a greedy boy. He longed for a loving family, but that was it. The only genuine love that he has was with his brother who has been with him since they were young. He'll give him the world if he has to, except for one thing, and that was the company itself.

     Because like how they expected Marcus to just hand it to Max with no second thought, Marcus knew too well that that's something that Max wouldn't want to happen. Max was a prideful and just man, and he will only take what he thinks is worthy for him to take.

     "Max, stop hiding from me," Marcus says before taking a deep breath. He closes his eyes and massages his temple, and as the room falls silent, someone suddenly knocks on the door. Expecting it to be a maid bringing him another cup of coffee, Marcus turns around and says, "Come in."

     The door slowly opens, and Marcus was surprised to see that it was actually Max's butler, Étienne.

     "Sir Marcus, the master has returned. It seems like he is back in J.S High," Étienne calmly explains.

     Marcus stares at him for a while, processing what he just said. But after letting it sink in, Marcus clenches his fist and says, "Ready the car, I'm heading to school."

     Étienne doesn't say anything. He nods his head as an answer before taking his leave. As soon as the door closes, Marcus rushes to his dresser and opens it, revealing the black uniform that others greatly feared.

...

The school bell rings, and Max, Felix, and Ervin head back to their classroom after having a meeting with the members of BND and Jokers. They talked about what to do next, and they're only waiting for the right moment to make their first move.