25 | Jacks In The Box

MAX TAKES A DEEP BREATH before heading out of the car. He adjusts his peak cap, and then his black armband, indicating that he's a serf. Not like the first day, people weren't staring at him anymore. In fact, they didn't care about him at all.

     "Enjoy your day master Leigh," Étienne says with his head down and his hand on his chest.

     Max nods his head to acknowledge it. Without saying anything, he walks up the steps towards the Keep. But while he was walking, someone suddenly grabs his shoulder, almost making Max push him away,

     "Felix!" Max shouts in surprise, his chest beating fast because he almost pushed him off the steps. Felix was surprised too, but he immediately apologized when he remembered what happened to them yesterday with that mean gaffer who kicked him in the stomach twice.

     "I shouldn't have surprised you. It would have been pretty obvious that you'll be very alert now. Sorry," Felix says, making Max smile and path his head like a kid.

     "Good morning," Max says instead, and that automatically made Felix smile.

     "Last week's ball was fun wasn't it? The red carpet was also broadcast live and was even shown in the news. My mother was upset that I was only shown once, but you were literally everywhere. It made me realize that I'm actually friends with someone as great as you," Felix says with a proud smile, making Max chuckle.

     "I haven't even done anything to be recognized like that, but if it makes you this happy then who am I to complain?" Max answers as he and Felix continue to walk down the hallway, heading to their classroom at the Hall of Caelus.

     "But the press doesn't matter anymore. Did you see the news published on our school's website? It was all about the Royals. Everyone talked about how they'll be taking underlings this year. It's crazy," Felix explains, making Max remember about it too.

     "Viktor must be planning something. Especially when he's about to graduate, and the public will soon have to find out about his return," Max says back.

     Felix nods his head in agreement. "If it was me then I'd plan something too. Especially with that rumor going on around him." He then says, making Max look at him with his brows furrowed.

     "Rumors? What rumors?" Max asks, surprising Felix that Max didn't know about it. So Felix grabs Max's arm, and both of them stop in the middle of the hallway. Felix then pulls Max towards him and whispers, "That Viktor's parents were the ones who planted the bombs that killed their entire clan."

     Max was surprised by what he heard that he immediately pushed Felix off him. "H-How could you...Felix, don't say that so openly," Max warns, immediately walking away from the scene because he was afraid someone might hear them.

     Felix catches up with Max and walks beside him again. "No, but I'm serious. Isn't it strange that Viktor was the only one who wasn't there during the time the explosion happened? It's said that Viktor was supposed to be the next head of the Stepanov clan, but the elders of their family were planning to change it, so his parents sacrificed themselves so that wouldn't happen. Doesn't it make sense?"

     "It doesn't so let's stop talking about this. Those are serious claims, Felix. As much as I despise Viktor, his parents do not deserve to be accused of such things," Max says, and Felix finally zips his mouth about the matter.

     Max takes a deep breath and tries to forget what he just heard, but he couldn't. The Stepanov clan was always known for their barbaric ways, while Max's family, the Lemieux's, was all about class and elegance.