57 | Day Off

MAX WALKS DOWN THE stairs, yawning as he scratches the back of his bedhead. When he reached the living room, he catches the maids watching the news during their morning chores. Max wanted to ignore them, but then he spots his face on the screen. He then realizes that they were actually watching the news about the pageant yesterday.

     "What did I tell you about turning the news on while I'm here? May you please watch something else?" Max asks with a tired expression despite only waking up a couple of minutes ago.

     "W-we apologize master."

     One of the maids immediately searches for the remote to turn the television off while the other maids bow to him.

     "Master Leigh, sir Étienne told us not to wake you so you can rest," the maid says, but Max ignores her statement and answers instead, "It's a Saturday and I'd rather be productive than be in bed all day."

     The maid nods her head in understanding as Max asks next, "Where is he by the way? My butler?"

     "We are not quite sure master Leigh, but sir Marcus is at the pool area," the maid answers.

     "Then bring our breakfast there," he says before walking away. As he arrives at the pool, Max sees Marcus doing lapses. He doesn't call out for him, but instead, he heads to the patio to take a seat.

     A different butler arrives and places their breakfast at the table where Max is seated. And after Marcus did a few more lapses, he finally pulls himself out of the pool, a maid waiting for him near the ladder to hand him his towel.

     "Max," Marcus calls out while drying his hair.

     A topless Marcus approaches Max and takes a seat in front of his brother. "You're up early. Shouldn't you be resting?" He asks before taking a sip of the orange juice that was served to them.

     "When did I ever decide to just rest? I don't have the luxury to do that," Max honestly shares, and a maid walks to his side to pour him some tea. "Thank you," he then adds before taking a sip.

     "Well, Étienne is handling everything that you're supposed to be doing today so you could rest. He's actually at the company now so there's nothing for you to do today. That's why I suggest you rest," Marcus reveals, surprising Max.

     "And who gave him the permission to do that?" Max asks with his right eyebrow raised, and instead of answering him, Marcus shrugs his shoulder and butters his toast.

     Max sighs in defeat and massages his temple. "Well if that's the case then what am I supposed to do today? Study?" Max asks, almost as if he's offended by his own words.

     "Oh no, I have all the free time in the world and I don't know what to do," Marcus sarcastically says, instantly making Max glare at him.

     Marcus flinches at the sudden death stare and tries to change the subject. "A-Anyway, I seriously suggest that you take the day off. If you don't remember it's our grandmother's birthday tomorrow and we're heading to the Sinclaire's main household at 9 AM," Marcus reminds him, making Max grunt like a spoiled brat.

     "But she hates me," Max says.

     "Well, who doesn't hate you?" Marcus asks back, and Max almost threw the hard-boiled egg directly at Marcus's face.

    Marcus laughs it off and tries to change the subject for the second time. "But seriously Max, you just won fucking Mr. Brains and Brawn, and half of the white uniforms finally respect you; not just those in the House of Kings but the other houses as well. I think you deserve a little rest," Marcus says, but with a more genuine tone this time.