73 | We'll Protect You

ÉTIENNE LOOKS BACK AT the rearview mirror to check on Max who has not said a single word since they left the mansion.

     The article yesterday became the talk of the town like what Ren predicted. Max's face was all over the news, and even though the Sinclaire's were able to delete the original article, the topic itself already became a big buzz.

     Dozens of news reporters were outside their company and even outside their mansion, hoping to get an official statement from the family. The Sinclaire's counselor suggested that they let the news die down than address anything, but the family's silence only made things worse.

     "Your father insisted that you stay at home for now," Étienne says while looking back at Max who had a blank expression on his face.

     Étienne takes a deep breath and looks back at him again. "Leigh, you don't have to-"

     "If you keep on talking I'm going to fire you and hire someone who actually knows how to keep their mouth shut," Max warns, and Étienne finally keeps quiet.

     The drive to J.S High becomes painfully silent, but as soon as they arrive, dozens of reporters suddenly welcome them. When they saw the Sinclaire logo on their car, they immediately swarm them.

     "These idiots never get tired, do they?" Étienne says as he slowly drives towards the school's gate.

     The camera flashes practically blind Étienne, but Max doesn't even look fazed. He didn't even try to cover himself as the reporters continue to press their camera lenses on their window so they can get a good picture of him and sell it for a good price.

     When they finally stop in front of the gate, the gate opens, and about ten guards arrived and pushed the reporters away so their car can finally drive inside.

     Étienne takes a deep breath and parks in front of the Keep to drop his master off. He was about to head out and open the door for him, but Max doesn't even wait for him as he heads out of the car instead.

     Max slams the door shut and slightly adjusts his peak cap before going up the steps towards the main building. While he was walking, students stopped and whispered at each other; some were even laughing.

     "He still went to school?" One of the students asks with disbelief, but Max continues to walk towards the building like he didn't hear anything.

     As soon as he arrives inside, a hoard of students was there to welcome him. Some minded their business, but most of them dared to look. They were whispering and laughing, and one student even threw crumpled paper at him.

     "Look at him walk with his chin up when he's not even an heir anymore."

     "Go home peasant!"

     Students continue to say awful things to Max, making Max stop walking in the middle of the crowd. Everyone looks at him like he's an animal caged in a zoo, and all Max could do was clench on the strap of his bag, not saying a single word to even defend himself.

     Max tries to keep it together, but one sentence finally made him snap.

     "Now he's just like his mother," a student bravely says out loud, making everyone stop talking.

     The atmosphere becomes tense as soon as someone mentioned Max's mother. They're aware of what happened to Ervin on their first day. Even a prince like Kim Hee-joon didn't stand a chance against him when he mentioned her.