78 | Clouded Memories

"WHY CAN MATERIALS SUCH as water and fat enter the cell freely, while proteins and sugar need to undergo cell transport?" Mrs. Helena Pennington, their biology professor, asks the class. Half of them were already dozing off, while the other half was blankly staring at their textbooks.

     Ari, Gavriil, and another smart student in their class, unlike their other classmates, immediately raise their hands to answer, making Mrs. Pennington sigh because the three of them have been the only ones answering her questions since earlier.

     "Come on people, let's stay alive! Anyone else who can answer my question?" Mrs. Pennington asks again while she walks across the quiet room. When she notices that no one was going to answer her, she sighs and adds, "I'll give 50 merit points to those who can answer it for me."

     And just like they were flies who spotted a lamp, almost everyone in the class woke up and raised their hands even though they weren't sure of the answer themselves. Even Max and Ervin raised their hands now too, except for Felix of course who was bored to death.

     Mrs. Pennington smiles at the enthusiastic response, but instead of calling one whose hand was raised, she called someone who wasn't.

     "Alright Mr. Campbell, you've been quiet ever since school started. Let's show them why you're the third honorary student. What do you think the answer is to my question?" Mrs. Pennington asks as she approaches Felix's seat, making everyone else put their hand down.

     "Don't worry, getting something wrong means..."

     "Getting a chance to know what's right," the class lazily answers back, making Mrs. Pennington smile proudly at the class.

     Felix takes a deep breath and slowly stands from his seat. Without even thinking about it, he answers, "Water can enter the cell because the hydrophilic head is exposed outside the structure of the cell membrane. While fat, on the other hand, can enter because the cell membrane is composed of phospholipids, which is made out of fat."

     Mrs. Pennington happily claps at Felix's answer before heading towards her desk to note down the 50 points that she'll be giving to Felix.

     "That is absolutely correct..." She then says before clicking on something on her desk. A hologram of a cell appears in front of them, and Mrs. Pennington starts explaining Felix's answer to the class.

     Soon after, she walks in front of the class again and asks next, "Any questions so far?"

     "How about materials other than water and fat? How do they transport to the cell?" A student asks.

     "Well, materials such as-" before Mrs. Pennington could even answer the question, the school bell suddenly rings, and everyone instantly starts packing their things, almost like it was an automatic response.

     Mrs. Pennington sighs, unable to do anything and just let the class get ready to leave.

     "Alright class, I want you all to think about Mr. Ahmad's question, and then we'll talk about it at our next meeting, is that clear?" Mrs. Pennington asks, and everyone answers a lazy, "Yes Mrs. Pennington."

     "And let me remind you all that we don't have classes for two days to give respect to those who will celebrate All Saints Day and All Souls Day, so don't accidentally go to school. Now head home safely everyone!"

     Mrs. Pennington turns the hologram off and starts packing her things too before adding, "Oh right, Mr. Class Rep, please help me carry these to the faculty."