98 | The Awaited Outcome

THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS was growing impatient. Everyone was already in the meeting room, but Max was still nowhere to be found.

     "This is absurd. He should be here on time!" One of the directors complained.

     Chairman Christopher, who was directly adjacent to where Denzel was seated, found the entire situation amusing as he says, "You should give the boy some credit. You took his inheritance away; a boy who was the most capable to lead this company. You should understand that he's not so excited to see you all again after all that."

     CEO Jean, Max's second cousin who was busy reading the news on his phone, tries his best not to laugh out loud after hearing what chairman Christopher has to say.

     The directors, on the other hand, started whispering at each other and glaring at the chairman, but no one dared say a thing. As much as they find his presence irritating, chairman Christopher is one of the men who ruled the underground business world. It would be stupid of them to make him his enemy.

     "For your information chairman Chris, they did not take his inheritance away. It was simply just a case of who has the birthright. It would be unfair for Marcus to not inherit the company when he's going to be the legal eldest soon," Denzel explains, almost making the chairman laugh.

     "Only a fool would use that as a reason. If I knew that my eldest was useless, I wouldn't hesitate and make my second son or daughter the rightful heir. It's common sense," he explains, making Denzel chuckle.

     Marcus, who was also at the meeting room sitting on Denzel's right, doesn't react even when he was subtly called useless by the chairman. He just honestly wanted to get this over with.

     "We're a traditional family. You might not be able to understand," Denzel continues to defend, but chairman Christopher doesn't answer anymore and just slumps himself in his seat.

     While everyone was waiting, Denzel's secretary, who was standing behind him, leans toward him and whispers in his ear, "Chairman, master Maximilian has finally arrived. He's already outside."

     Denzel takes a deep breath and suddenly stands up from his seat, making the other board of directors stand as well even though they didn't know why their chairman was standing.

     A couple of seconds after that, the door finally opens, revealing Max who was wearing his dark red suit. For a second Denzel thought he saw his brother, Janus. This kind of stunt was definitely something that Janus would pull. Looks like Max really has spent a lot of time in J.S High.

     "Good afternoon, gentlemen," Max greets. When his eyes met his father, he then bows at him and adds, "Chairman Denzel..."

     Denzel doesn't say anything but takes a seat again, finally making everyone else follow.

     Almost everyone's reaction to his entrance was bland, but Max just shrugs it off as he walks towards chairman Christopher and sits on his right as well. As soon as he took a seat, Denzel's secretary looks at everyone and announces, "Since everyone is already here, and as your chosen representative and middleman, I officially open this meeting. Chairman Denzel?"

     Denzel adjusts himself in his seat and looks at Max before looking back at chairman Christopher.

     "As you requested to have this private meeting, I would formally like to ask you to state your business with us, if you may, chairman Chris," Denzel says with a respectable tone, and Christopher nods his head to acknowledge it.